Add ciruclator to Red Flash gravity (closed)- no new boiler

Old 12-11-04, 04:56 PM
grahamj21
Visiting Guest
Add ciruclator to Red Flash gravity (closed)- no new boiler

My local consultant would like to sell me more modern boiler with a 20-30 year lifespan. This would replace an early century large cast iron straight 3+ in. dual pipe Red Flash that has done the modest job well in Louisville for somewhere between 40 and and 90 years. This system has been very well maintained, and is now for the first floor only, with a basement pressurized expansnion tank.

I need recommendations on the feasiblity and style of circulating pump that I might add to the return. Although there are two boiler loops, one serves 5 radiators (where I would like to add the circulator) on the first and only floor, and the other serves 2 double piped radiators. I think I understand that I don't want any valves or complexity, just a step down in the return near the iron horse on the big side, and a circulation pump. Names of pumps and other insights most welcome. (simple is good, that's what seems to have kept it in buisness this long.)

-Jim

Old 12-11-04, 06:23 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I just finished responding to another person regarding pumps, and I'll tell you the same---Taco 007. This is a NO maintenance pump that is smaller and uses less power than the venerable B&G series 100.
I cannot say, however, whether what you are proposing will actually work, but it sounds promising

Old 12-11-04, 06:34 PM
grahamj21
Visiting Guest
Andrew,

Thanks. I was also looking for some discussion, given that if centurian isn't broken, why try to fix it with modern planned obsolecence patches.

Say one has a gravity system that is udated with only a funcitonal closed compression tank and single floor design. (Two pipe cast iron system, would be increasing the return at the boiler by active circulation pump.)

Regards,

-Jim

Old 12-11-04, 10:30 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
I reread your original post, and I have two opinions.

If the old system works, why mess with it?

That said, since the boiler now only serves the first floor, your old boiler is now grossly oversized, making it extremely inefficient. You might be better doing a heat/cool load calculation and replacing it with a modern boiler. You would save a ton of money in the long run.
Others here may offer their opinions as well, so stay tuned.

Old 12-12-04, 08:27 AM
grahamj21
Visiting Guest
Originally Posted by Andrew
That said, since the boiler now only serves the first floor, your old boiler is now grossly oversized, making it extremely inefficient.
A.

Thanks, indeed, it must be grossly oversized. Replacement with a modern 85% efficient model that might last 20 years or so with maintence and moving parts would cost me about $6000 (installers total estimate). It would take me about 30 years to recoup if I'd guess mine might be 60% efficient now.

That said, adding the active circulation and outdoor thermostat alone would cost far far less. But would it do much for me? That's really all I'd consider given 'they don't make em like they used to' and how well this thing has done all these years.

-Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: