air in the lines?

Old 12-12-04, 05:52 PM
phungurl
Visiting Guest
air in the lines?

I just had an awesome experience in the wells and septic forum so I figured i'd try you guys out with another question. Just bought a house and for some reason I keep getting air in my lines. The upstairs heat works fine I have baseboard heaters. The downstairs has lost heat at least 6 times this season already. I keep calling the heating guys and they come up and bleed the lines then it works fine again for about a week or two. I have a service plan where i don't pay for the service calls so I don't think it's the oil guys doing a bad job they would have no reason to. So I asked them if it was common to get air in the lines so often and why do you get air in the lines . They gave me some kind of brush off answer and showed me how to bleed the lines myself. Does anyone know why you get air in the lines and why would only the downstairs not heat . Any help very much appreciated.

Old 12-12-04, 09:52 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I am assuming you have an auto-fill valve, and if so, anytime it adds water to the system, their is entrained air that comes with it. Cold water has more entrained air, than hot water, so when it goes thru the boiler, the air becomes bubbles, that are carried along, normally to the highest point. The auto-fill valve should only add water based on a drop in system pressure, which usually happens after having drained the system or the PRV has opened and relieved some water. Has anyone drained the system since you purchased the house? If not, did you get a heat and air certificate before you went to closing on this house?

Do you know what the pressure is on the boiler? Do you have an air scoop on the boiler? If you have baseboard heaters on the first floor, do you have bleed valves at the highest point on the piping to each radiator?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: