Winter Vacation Boiler Options

Old 12-14-04, 11:41 AM
matalfieri
Visiting Guest
Question Winter Vacation Boiler Options

If I go on an extended winter vacation, can I shut off the water supply to the house at the water meter and not effect the heat output from my hot waterbaseboard heat boiler. My concern is that if a water pipe should break in the unattended house and the water supply is on a gigantic and costly mess would greet us when we get home. Since the heating system is a closed loop, is it safe to shut off the water supply for as long as a month?
Any suggestions?

Old 12-14-04, 01:24 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

From my past thats a hard one to say yes or no. I know many old homes that didnt have a auto fill on them . When asked they said they didnt put any water in the boiler ,maybe last year. If they can recall right. So as I say its up to you. can you just run a water fill line to the boiler only and shut off the home. Then from the past I have found have some one check on the house for you . Dont for get the burner in the boiler can go off???????????? also
So the best that I can say is have some one you know check on the home. Or Honeywell has a set up that you can check for temp in the home by phone.

My .02 cents

ED

Old 12-14-04, 02:36 PM
A
I have a friend from NY City that came to Lake Murray, SC for a month last winter. He shut off the water, but kept the heat on to the boiler. To shorten a long story, there was a power failure, and extreme cold. The cracked boiler and water pipes were not such a problem until everything thawed

I'd go find a good neighbor to check the house daily, and have phone numbers readily available for HVAC and plumbing repair people.

Ed, it is my 2

Old 12-15-04, 09:06 AM
M
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vacation

How long is this extended vacation? Does there need to be heat in the house while you are gone? What a lot of summer cottage owners do is drain the system completely and pump air through the system to remove standing water. Then as an added precaution, they add non-toxic RV anti-freeze to the sinks and toilets to fill the traps. Anti-freeze can also be added to the heating system so it doesn't have to be drained again next time. Although most cottage owners will drain it every year to be safe.

Old 12-15-04, 12:34 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
but wouldn't the anti-freeze just evaporate during the sumer months and eventually after enough cycles of the heating system? Anti-freeze?

Old 12-15-04, 01:25 PM
Wink

I have found you dont want to get carried away with anti-freeze In a boiler. Cant say why but it does cut down on the heat out oput of the water.
but wouldn't the anti-freeze just evaporate during the sumer months and eventually after enough cycles of the heating system?
No because its a sealed system.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: