Loud Knocking Pipes

Old 12-15-04, 12:23 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Loud Knocking Pipes

Hi there,

Alright, so shortly after fixing a radiator valve to one side of the house, the pipes on the other side has started this aweful and violent banging. It feels like the pipes are just going to burst when the heat starts coming up through them. Steam heat, old house. All the heat pipes on the front side of the house (where the valve I replaced with your help a couple weeks ago) are fine. Any help/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 12-16-04, 06:14 PM
I don't think the two are related, (your last repair and this problem). It will be difficult to troubleshoot without knowing the particulars of your system. The reason it is banging is because steam is running into water laying out there. It could be related to however the water is supposed to return to the boiler from that side of the house. It may not be getting out of the main and into the return.

Ken

Old 12-16-04, 11:16 PM
S
Okay, as you know I'm a novice and have very little idea what I am doing. What particulars would you like to know. The upstairs bathroom has no radiatior in the traditional sense. It has a thick pipe installed vertically that gives off heat. I'm thinking this has something to do with the steam relief valve (the thing that's usually to the end of the radiator opposite the pipe-work, it looks like a whistler). So you say trapped water is likely being run into by the steam? How is this usually corrected? Thanks again Mr. Field... if only I were this brave years ago, there's no telling how much bread you could've saved me.

Old 12-17-04, 06:10 PM
How many pipes connect to each radiator? If it is one pipe only, make sure the valve feeding the radiator is all the way open. Make sure the vent is right side up. With the numbers at the top. If there are 2 pipes on each radiator, find the location where the hammering starts and follow the pipes back to the boiler and feel the temperature all the way back. See if it is cold most of the way or hot when the system is running and let me know.

Ken

Old 12-19-04, 08:42 PM
S
Okay, I didn't get an email letting me know there was a post added to the thread so forgive me in being a little late getting back to you. Been getting alot of spam of late too so maybe I inadvertantly blocked this sender (whoops).

Well, Mr. Field, there is one pipe to each radiator. The steam relief valves have no numbers on them. I will go around the house and make sure they are all upright now and will post back if it indeed helps. Thanks.

Old 12-26-04, 12:52 PM
S
Okay, here's what happened. About a week ago... maybe 5 days ago, my brother bled the boiler and viola! Almost instantly the knocking stopped altogether!!!! THanks alot for your help all.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: