boiler not working! checked a few things, what else to check?

Old 12-15-04, 02:06 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
boiler not working! checked a few things, what else to check?

I got my heat set at 70, and the temp is now 57. Usually since its boiler heat, I expect swings of 5 degrees, but this is almost 15 degrees. Check the gauges on top of the thing, and they seem alright (pressure and such), checked the pilot, and its lit. Checked some of the radiators, to see if they need bleeding, and water comes out right away, so that's okay. What other things should I be looking for? Any links where I can troubleshoot the system or somthing?

Don't know the brand or exact numbers (PSI or whatnot) yet, but this is the second time this has happened since I closed on the house day before Thanksgiving.

First time, it dropped to 55 at night, but had self-corrected by morning, it was when we were moving in, so I blamed it on the constantly open doors, and the fact that radiator heat takes longer to adjust.

Old 12-15-04, 02:36 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Is the circulating pump working?

Old 12-16-04, 07:45 AM
C
not sure, what is a circulating pump?

I noticed that there was a red line and a black line on the altimeter gauge, and I saw that the black line was at zero and the red line was up a ways. After contacting the previous owners, I turned on the water valve to let more water into the system, getting the black line and red line to match up.

When I got the black line up to the red line, I cranked the thermostat up to 80, which got the pilot blazing good. I also bled the radiator on the upper floor, the high water mark, to force the air out of the system. I bled it until I got water coming out of it, and it heated up fine that night, but this morning I woke up to temps of about 60. I checked the gauges, and they seem fine, but when I cranked up the stat to 80, it didn't get the pilot blazing. Any ideas, or help please? Its cold in MN!

Old 12-16-04, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

not sure, what is a circulating pump?
Would be a pump in a pipe there on the boiler. Some look like a red motor sticking out from a pipe on the boiler. When you push up the tstat and the boiler dont come on can you tell what the boiler temp is???? most boilers turn on at 160o and off at 180o. look around and see if you can give us more INFO on the boiler . Come back in this same post.

ED

Old 12-16-04, 10:48 AM
C
the boiler temp seems to be 115??

the make is a burnham I'm thinking, although I'm seeing a Gordon stamp on what I would guess would be on the circulating pump, and Manners-Motz on the door that opens to the pilot light. The top door of the boiler though (which has the mini-looking radiator), is a Burnham door.

I think what would be the circulating pump is on the front of the boiler, right underneath the pilot light and top boiler doors. Its got an intake directly from the gas(?), so is that right? Its the closest thing, i think, to a Burnham.

Now strangely, I crank up the stat, and the pilot light is a blazin away. I don't want this to happen again, so what should I do? (besides replace parts+boiler, I'm trying to save that for next winter).

Old 12-16-04, 03:38 PM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
What you describe is the gas valve, not the circulator.
No offense, but perhaps it's time to call in a pro?
Good luck!

Old 12-17-04, 06:33 AM
C
I just closed on this house, not even a month ago, so I'm trying to get by for now, I just don't have the cash to get a pro over. Last night, it went down to 60 again (no big deal), but when I woke up, it was a nice 70.

When I bled the radiator at the high water point, I noticed the water was a bit sludgy and dirty. I'm wondering if I should try bleeding the radiator until I get clean water out of the thing, what do you think? I'm guessing the cleaner the water that get circulated, the easier it to circulated and heat.

Old 12-17-04, 07:14 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

I'm wondering if I should try bleeding the radiator until I get clean water out of the thing, what do you think? I'm guessing the cleaner the water that get circulated, the easier it to circulated and heat.
No let it alone.All you want out of it up there is air. open the bleeder till all you get is water.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: