Need new burner for oil furnace

Old 12-16-04, 06:35 PM
pinky1352
Visiting Guest
Need new burner for oil furnace

We need to get a new burner for our furnace. It an oil burner, and the house has baseboard heating.

The burner nozzle and electrode assembly is constantly getting carbon fouled, and needs to be cleaned every few weeks during heating season. Oil company who handles the service calls are the one who told us we need the new burner, and they gave us a price for the part @ $650.

I am not convinced that that's what needs to be done. Heat went out again today, and a new guy was sent to fix it. He had to change the electrodes completely because there were big chips of the ceramic insulation missing from them. Last guy was out just 2 days ago when heat went out then. He only cleaned off carbon build up and put these ruined electrodes back in!

So needless to say, I don't have much faith in these guys :P

I'd like to do some research on the parts price, in case we DO actually need it, but I can't figure out where to start. The furnace is probably 25-30 years old (we bought the house 14 years ago and were told is was 10yo then). The only information that is on the faceplate is "Burnham America" "V-13" & "serial #7567486". It does NOT state a model number. The burner assembly itself only reads "Sun Ray Bantam Burner" with no further information. There's some sort of motor off to the lower right side of this whole assembly (and no it's not the red circulator pump, nor the squirrel cage), that reads " Marathon Electric Model JPA48S34S36F"

Any assistance as to where to start would be greatly appreciated. I've tried emailing Burnham America, but have not received a reply as yet. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-04, 07:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The Bantam was not a good idea from the start. I would take the suggestion of the service people and get a Beckett AFG. I am not a fan of the Beckett AFII or the Carlin EZ-1. You will be much better off with the new burner and the price is not too bad.

Ken

Old 12-16-04, 07:38 PM
pinky1352
Visiting Guest
Ken,
Thank you for the quick reply!

The Bantam was not our idea, it came with the house.

Is it safe to assume that I can use the beckett afg on my furnace? I found one on ebay (of all places) brand new, from a reputable trader for $299. The item number there is 5941449385. I'm not sure if direct links to auctions sites are allowed on this forum, and don't want to break the rules the first day here . I would much prefer to purchase it myself, and have someone else install.

I haven't been able to find much information on the Bantam online, but from one thread on a diferent forum that I read, it would seem like the electrodes never were set in the correct position. That thread read that the electrode tips should be 5/16 above center line of tip, and 5/32 in front for the Bantam. From watching serviceman today, it sure looked like he place the electrode tips way BELOW the tip of the nozzle! I even asked when he was setting them if there was a particualr way to set them, and he mumbled something about 60-65 (degrees perhaps?). I'm not familiar with furnaces, but know cars, so know a little about spark gaps (same vague principle here), and the way he set them just didn't look right.

does that SOUND right to you?

Thanks again!

Old 12-16-04, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Be careful about buying parts and asking your company to install them. You may get a negative response and you may find out that they want $400 for labor. Either way, you lose. You also need to know the firing rate and tube length for your particular application. And whether you need a low-fire baffle or anything else specific for your furnace. The service company would know that right off. I have seen burners offered with no safety control and they usually don't include an air tube or flange. I'm not saying "don't do it", I'm just pointing out possible pitfalls.

As for the electrode setting, it could not have been below the nozzle because that would mean that the electrodes crossed the path of the oil spray and that wouldn't last 5 minutes. Those settings are critical and many service people genralize on settings and don't do any burner justice. Good luck with your project.

Ken