if relief valve is working, does the system need water added?

Old 12-17-04, 05:53 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
if relief valve is working, does the system need water added?

i am replacing my sparco-trol expansion tank this weekend, but need to know if i should add water.
after all its been leaking ever since i bought the place 2 months ago...
i followed the piping, and i can see that it enters the in-line for the water heater.... is this topping up the system automatically?
thanks for all who have helped me, this is a great forum..

mark

Old 12-17-04, 06:38 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Mark,

Whether or not you need to add water, depends on the boiler pressure. If one story, it should be 12 - 15 psig, if two story, it should be 15-18 psig.

Old 12-17-04, 06:44 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
is this maximum pressure during operation ?

Old 12-17-04, 07:27 AM
Wink

is this maximum pressure during operation
Yes for sure. If everything is working right for you.

ED

Old 01-07-05, 06:20 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
problem...
i only have about 7 psi, if i read the dirty guage correctly...and im right it is in KPa..

so, if i do have to add water, is this hard to do? how is it done ?

on another note: i have a 4 level backsplit, and the down stairs is always freezing, and up stairs alot warmer.. i know..."heat rises" but im talking around a 3 difference... NOW, i would suspect the relief valve problem to contribute to this.. but with low presure... wouldnt the upstairs be the coldest... due to the lack of pressure to puch the water to the upper floors (the boiler is situated on the second floor from the top...)

thanks

Last edited by minime; 01-07-05 at 06:23 AM. Reason: adding more questions
Old 01-08-05, 02:21 PM
Some thing is not right here for you. 7 psi cant get heat to the 3rd story for you No heat down did yoiu bleede the R/D there?

ED

Old 01-10-05, 04:52 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
to clarify...the boiler is on the 2 from top floor, and the room which feels cold is the next floor down...
but, what is the R/D ??

Old 01-11-05, 01:03 PM
We use R/D short for a radiator if yoou have them or baseboard heaters.

ED

Old 01-11-05, 01:07 PM
minime
Visiting Guest
i have baseboards... and too note, i read the guage wrong... it says 35psi
isnt that too high for a 4 level backsplit ??
or is trapped air along with my 2 bad expansion tanks to blame ??

Old 01-11-05, 01:35 PM
A
I guess if we had read the title of your original post, we could have gotten here sooner. The pressure relief valve is most likely set to open at 30 psig. If it is opening, then you have too much water in the system.

Did you replace the expansion tank yet? If so, was it with a bladder tank? If so, what is the pressure on the tank?

Do you have an auto-fill valve on the system? If you open the PRV, and vent the pressure down, does it stay down, or do you hear water going back into the boiler? Do you know how to adjust the auto-fill valve to get the pressure set correctly?

Ah, the value of data Please give us more information, and we'll start over.

Old 01-12-05, 10:27 AM
minime
Visiting Guest
no, the tanks just came in today...and i am picking them up after work to install them today..

i just want to be prepared for whatever happens....
for starters, do i set the tank to 12psi before i install it, or when its installed ?

and if water still comes out of the relief valve, then i should release pressure from the PRV and listen for water running into the tank ?
THEN, if it is a auto-fill, i should adjust the auto-fill valve ? now.... how do i adjust this "auto-fill' valve ?

by the way, thanks for helping me with this guys (Ed & Rick)

Old 01-12-05, 08:14 PM
A
If it is a bladder tank, it should come preset at 12 psig. You can check it witha tire gauge, and adjust it with a bicycle pump as needed.You can do it before or after installation, it does not matter.

The auto-fill valve will be on the domestic water supply (make-up) water line to the boiler. It will look like a bell, with a stem or bolt out the top of it. If water is coming in, and boiler pressure is above the target pressure, turn the stem counter-clockwise (viewed from the top).

Old 01-12-05, 08:35 PM
A
I forgot to mention, if it is not a bladder tank, just an air tank, it will not have a schrader valve. Just pipe it into the system, open the valve between it and the boiler, and you should be good to go.

Good luck,

Old 02-03-05, 12:08 PM
minime
Visiting Guest
problem fixed, thanks for all the help.
i have two tanks, and both were ruptured, and they had significant amounts of crusty dirt.. and no more water out the PRV...
so what should be the proper presure for a 4 level backsplit ??

by the way, should'nt a closed loop system be flushed every so often ? after seeing what was in my expansion tanks, im thinking my energy loos through the system could be greatly reduced with a cleaning--whole system cleaning of course..

thanks again to all who helped me

mark - the great white north

Old 02-03-05, 05:32 PM
Wink

No you dont flush a hot water system .The psi or pressure should be just what ever it takes to get water out of the very top bleeder.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: