Oil-burning boiler periodically fails to ignite

Old 12-17-04, 04:22 PM
DieHond
Visiting Guest

My oil-burning steam boiler needs its nozzle and electrode tips wiped dry every one or two weeks because it shuts down due to failure to ignite since everything seems to be smothered with fuel oil. Once I wipe it clean it's good for a week or two. Is the ingition transformer loosing its zip or do I need to replace the nozzle or something?

Old 12-17-04, 04:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

Need like more info on it to say just what. The nozzle should be new each year also the filter. The blower in the gun there cleaned and the pump psi checked. The electrodes cleaned and set right for the gap . The transformer checked out. Draft , stack, temp and Co2. I say first the nozzle and do you have the nozzle back in the air tube as far in as it should be.?
Let us know what you find out

ED

Old 12-17-04, 05:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ed hit it on the head. In order to even have a shot at helping you, I need to know the brand and hopefully the model of the burner. Then we can work on why it is acting up. I have a feeling it is setup way out of spec. but lets get started with the info.

Ken

Old 12-19-04, 01:27 PM
DieHond
Visiting Guest

Thanks guys. Here is some more information: The burner is a Beckett AFG with an 'F' head. I found a diagram in its manual that gives you all dimensional relationships. I will check the electrode gap and its location above and in front of the nozzle and let you know what I find.

Old 12-30-04, 07:32 AM
DieHond
Visiting Guest

OK, it's all working now. I tried cleaning the nozzle with carburettor cleaner and that would work for a few weeks, but in the end I had to replace the nozzle. Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: