Weil McLain Boiler - pilot on, clicking sound but burner does not go on

Old 12-18-04, 01:14 PM
snow_flake_2002
Visiting Guest
Weil McLain Boiler - pilot on, clicking sound but burner does not go on

hi - I have an older Weil and McLain Gas water basedboard heating system. The pilot is on, water is circulating but the burner does not kick in while a clicking sound continues...

Is this a cleaning issue or do I need to replace a sensor or the entire Gas Valve setup? 20 year old system...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-04, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The clicking is the sound of the spark that should ignite the pilot. Either there is no gas at the pilot or the spark isn't close enough to it to light it. The pilot valve (part of the gas valve) could be bad too. Was any work done around the boiler before this happened? There are a few things to check but you will need a voltmeter and the ability to use it. Post back if you want to investigate further.

Ken

Old 12-19-04, 07:03 PM
snow_flake_2002
Visiting Guest
So far, pilot is lit and on with a flame. The clicking occurs with the pilot flame on, but does not light the main burner.

No work has been done on this unit. On another unit next to it (2 family home with two separate units) the entire gas valve and " Intermittent Module " was put in - not sure if it was the same problem, but it cost a lot $$$$.

I'm thinking it may be a sensor or something....needing replacement or cleaning? or ???

Appreciate the reply.

Old 12-20-04, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Logically, the sensor would be the next step in the sequence. If the control doesn't know that the pilot is urning, it will continue to try to light it. If it doesn't sense it eventually, it will shut the pilot valve down and lock out. What type of flame sensor does your system use. The one taht looks like an electrode? I guess it could be the same one that lights the pilot. If that is the case and the pilot is hitting the sensor, there may be something wrong with the control. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Ken

Old 12-27-04, 09:18 AM
snow_flake_2002
Visiting Guest
Thank you for the tips - I'll look at the sensor and pilot next. If that doesn't work, then I'll rebuild with a retro gas valve and control unit as it's pretty old.
Thanks fo rthe advice thus far.