too much pressure in a hot water system?

Old 12-19-04, 09:28 AM
rangerrick71
Visiting Guest
too much pressure in a hot water system?

I have a 25 y/o Utica boiler converted from steam to forced water that, at temperature, operates at 30 psi or a little higher and then drops down to 20 psi at rest. The escape valve is rated at 30 psi so each time the boiler runs, it releases about two buckets of water.

Is there any way to modify the system manually to lower the working pressure without compromising heating efficiency?

I'm concerned about two things . . . wasting that much water all winter and running the risk of springing a leak under such high pressures.

Any thoughts?

Rob

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-04, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ranger Rick - Welcome to the DIY Forums

Rob,

You have too much water in the boiler, which is why you are popping the PRV.

First you need to trace the boiler make-up line that feeds the boiler, and look for an auto-fill valve. It will look like a bell with a stem or bolt out of the top of it. Turn the stem counter-clockwise two full turns.

Now, go manually release the PRV and drain water out of the system until the pressure gets down to 15 psig. Listen for water flowing in thru the auto-fill valve, I hope you do not hear any. If you do, turn the stem until the flow stops.

How many floors above the boiler are you trying to heat?

Please hit the reply button to post back.

Old 12-19-04, 10:19 PM
rangerrick71
Visiting Guest
Thanks for responding, Rick . . . this is a great forum for new homeowners like myself.

I did read your response to the post on the 13th describing the exact same problem, printed it out, and took it down to look for the auto-fill valve that you describe, but am not able to find a bell shaped valve with a stem.

I'm not knowledgeable of the proper terms of things, but are you saying that I should shut off the actual in-flow of water? There is a valve with a "normal" valve handle on the water pipe leading into the settling tank that I believe controls all inputting of water. Is this the bell-shaped valve? Or should the auto-fill valve be between the boiler and the settling tank?

My heating system goes from the basement up to the second floor with registers on the main and second floors.

Again, thanks.

Rob

Old 12-19-04, 11:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rob,

Some of the older systems did not have auto-fill valves, (spring-tine project ).

So just close the "normal" valve handle, for now.