low pressure and no heat to some radiators

Old 12-20-04, 02:23 PM
reba sue
Visiting Guest
Question low pressure and no heat to some radiators

I have an older Crane Sunnyday 102 Boiler. It is a two pipe system. I have one radiator on the first floor not heating and three on the second floor barely heating at all. The ones that are working run off the main pipe from the boiler, that pipe then bends, about 2 to 3 feet after the bend the one pipe gets cold, the other is warm up to what would be the last radiator on the line, that radiator is luke warm at best. I have bled all of the radiators in the house and they all released water right away, no air noticed. I opened up the valve right before the overflow?? (not quite sure what it is called) tank and the water was cold for a minute then got hot. Also upon checking the gauge it is reading 13 to 14 and 180 to 185. I'm not sure if the pump is coming on or not and also unsure how to check this. There is a valve on top of the boiler that has a pipe that extends down the side of the boiler, it has a small amount of water (a small slow drip) leaking out of it, but it has done that the previous two years that we have lived here and we never had a problem before. I do not know what other work has been done over the years on this boiler, but I did have the gas valve replaced last winter and the repairman checked everything over and said it was good to go.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially cause one of the radiators not working is in the bathroom, nothing like icicles hanging from your body after a shower...LOL

PS..I have no problem calling a repairman, but of course with the holidays just around the corner, money is tight, Especially if this is something that I can fix myself.

Thanks again.

Old 12-20-04, 04:02 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reba sue
I opened up the valve right before the overflow?? (not quite sure what it is called) tank and the water was cold for a minute then got hot.
There is no overflow, so I need a better description of what this tank is? Possibly the expansion tank? Is it hanging above the boiler?

Also upon checking the gauge it is reading 13 to 14 and 180 to 185. I'm not sure if the pump is coming on or not and also unsure how to check this.
This pressure is too low for a two story house. Meaning you do not have enough water in the system. Do you know how to adjust the auto-fill valve to get this pressure up to the 15 - 18 psig range? Most of the circulating pumps are painted red, and will be on the side of the boiler. Go watch and listen, while someone else turns the thermostat up, and see if you see or hear the pump running.

There is a valve on top of the boiler that has a pipe that extends down the side of the boiler, it has a small amount of water (a small slow drip) leaking out of it, but it has done that the previous two years that we have lived here and we never had a problem before.
This is the pressure relief valve, and if it is leaking, either the system is over-pressured (not likely based on your reported pressure readings), or it has opened in the past, to relieve pressure, and there is some trash (rust or scale) on the valve seat preventing it from seating and sealing completely. You can try manually opening it (lift lever on top) and letting some water flush out the valve (CAUTION - IT WILL BE HOT) and sometimes this will wash the trash out of the valve seat, and stop the leaking.

IMO, the circulator pump not running is most likely your problem. But go check.

Please post back with more info.

Des Anson voted this post useful.
Old 12-20-04, 06:54 PM
reba sue
Visiting Guest
some more info for you

The tank I spoke of is located almost right above the boiler.

I do not know how to adjust the auto fill valve to get the pressure up. There are three valves locate on and around the boiler. One is located under the circulating pump, coming out of the boiler; one is locate on a pipe above the boiler, the pipe it is attached to is hot to the touch and the third is located right before the tank that I did not know the name of.

While I was down in the basement checking this stuff out, the boiler kicked on, but the circulating pump did not. Now I remember reading in one of the other posts that sometimes they can stop running because dust, etc may get inside and you can adust that with a screw located on the side??? Or use some percussive maintanance and wack it with something that will dislodge what is making it stick.

But I guess it is pretty safe to assume it is probably the circulating pump like you stated.

Let me know what you think and thanks again for your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: