Steam heaters not circulating evenly

Old 12-20-04, 06:54 PM
KSRatliff
Visiting Guest
Question Steam heaters not circulating evenly

I have a 30 year old boiler system, heating a two story 90 year old house. the first level has excellent heat (hot water) circulation, but the second level of the house has minimal if any circulation. I have tried to bleed the heaters of air,but never seem to get any water out. Some pipes leading to the upstairs heaters are not even hot, while other heaters only get hot along the main bottom of the unit.

I have checked the main pipes in the basement, and they are too hot to touch, the offshoot of the pipes are very warm, almost hot untill the first bends, then they decrease signifigantly in surface temperature.

The pressure reads 30 PSI on the guage, and the boiler is rated to 35 PSI. What if any tricks do I try to increse the flow of hot water to the second story?

Old 12-20-04, 08:32 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a feeling you are not really getting 30 psi in the system. 30 psi is where the relief valve opens and dumps water all over the floor. I suspect that you only have about 10 psi and need 15-18 to fill the whole system. If it was mine, I would pick up a 0-50 lb gauge at the hardware store and an adapter to put it on a garden hose thread on one of your drain valves on the heating system. Then you will know exactly what your pressure is and can regulate accordingly. You aren't getting circulation because the system is not full of water. That's also why nothing comes out of the highest radiators. Let us know what you do and how it works.
Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: