Help Finding Boiler for hot water baseboard

Old 12-21-04, 06:28 PM
raphv2000
Visiting Guest
Help Finding Boiler for hot water baseboard

I recently became a homeowner for the first time and I need to replace an old boiler for a hot water baseboard system. I have two questions. First, what's the best way to find a replacement and does it make sense to do it myself or should I just have someone install it. Second, our inspector mentioned that because we have a clay chimney, a medium efficiency unit makes the most sense.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Old 12-22-04, 07:04 AM
AustinLorenzen
Visiting Guest
Not really a DIY job

I would recommend against installing your own boiler, unless you have a very extensive plumbing and HVAC background. Most configurations are not simply a matter of taking out a boiler, and putting a new boiler back in its place. Sizing them is a bit of an art, and there are all kinds of auxillary equipment (ignition, zone valves, regulators, etc.) which are a part of the system. I know in our rural area of Iowa, there's no place that will even sell you one, you have to buy through a certified installer. Also, if you're dealing with natural gas, there's always the risk that a wrong connection could blow up your house, or a leaky water connection could flood your place. There's some cost savings, but the potential risk is so much higher, that in this case, most of that extra cost is worth it, IMHO.

One way you can become more DIY on this, though, is to take the time to find a plumber/installer that you can talk to easily and will explain the system to you as they install it. I found my boiler technician after I talked to four on the phone that were either just interested in selling me something, or couldn't explain anything they were doing. By watching, asking questions, and doing some of the gopher tasks for the plumber while they were at my house, I've learned enough to do most of the regular maintenance on my unit, and even feel comfortable with minor repairs (baseboard replacement, system expansion for an addition, etc.).

Old 12-22-04, 12:08 PM
raphv2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you very much for the information. I will certainly look for someone to do the installation.

Old 12-22-04, 04:20 PM
aaliyahs_belly
Visiting Guest
You'll definitely want to hire a pro. There is *a lot* to installing a boiler.

I just had one installed a few weeks ago. I bought a Munchkin boiler and a Super Stor water heater with it. So far, so good, in this Alaskan winter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: