Stuck radiator handles

Old 12-26-04, 12:48 PM
deltaskye
Visiting Guest
Stuck radiator handles

Two of the radiators in my home are frozen in the off position. The handles to turn on the heat are stuck. I'm afraid of breaking or damaging them if I do the wrong thing. Do I need a tool or lubricant to loosen them? Brrrr, it's cold.

Old 12-26-04, 06:00 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Welcome to the DIY Forums

Since they are stuck, can you tell me how you are sure they are stuck in the off position?

Do you have a steam or hot water system? Can you tell me where the two cold radiators are, in relation to the boiler, e.g. are they the ones furthest from the boiler? Did you live in this house last year, and did you have heat to these radiators then?

Give us some more information, and we will try to help you.

Old 12-27-04, 05:46 AM
deltaskye
Visiting Guest
So sorry for lack of info. I have lived in the house 15 years and used these radiators in the past, but left them off for a couple years to conserve energy. All the other radiators are fine and working, and I had the heating system inspected about two months ago in preparation for winter. I know they are off because I marked all the handles (kept forgetting which way was which ) FYI the system is a hot water system, with a wonderful 1950s iron boiler.

Old 12-27-04, 07:31 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
It would not hurt to spray the valve stem with a good penetrating oil, e.g. Liquid Wrench, several times a day for a day, to see if that helps.

If they are the old ones with the wooden handles, those handles are very prone to breaking. I would not put any tools on the wooden handles. Depending on the space available to put a tool on the valve stem, I would start with a small pipe wrench, or vise grips, and lastly channel locks. Be sure to turn the valve counter-clockwise when viewed from the top.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Old 12-28-04, 09:05 AM
deltaskye
Visiting Guest
Thanks so much. They are metal. I will get some of the stuff you recommend and try it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: