House gets cold quickly after heating

Old 12-27-04, 05:54 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
House gets cold quickly after heating

I set my thermostat to 74 The heat come up quickly. However I notice that after the heat reaches the 74 and the boiler goes off within a matter of 1 1/2 hours it has to kick in again because the house temperature drops a lot. I definitely feels the chill in the air but cant find where it is coming from. Is ther a service in the Brooklyn New york are that does house heating audit at a reasonalbe cost or free? I thought the gas company did it but the said no.

Old 12-27-04, 08:05 AM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The two most common causes of heat loss are lack of sufficient insulation and air infiltration. If the outside wall feel cold, it may indicate insufficient insulation. If you take a candle around to the windows and doors, you should be able to pinpoint air infiltration which may be resolved with weather stripping or caulking. It is a little late in the year to be caulking in NY.

You can check the yellow pages for energy conservation firms. Most insulation contractors can do a study also, but they will focus on insulation losses. Window contractors will focus on heat losses thru windows.

Most probably, you will need to add insulation and/or replacement windows to see much improvement.

Old 12-27-04, 08:13 AM
The heat come up quickly. However I notice that after the heat reaches the 74 and the boiler goes off within a matter of 1 1/2 hours it has to kick in again
How quickly does it heat up?

And your saying the boiler stays off for an hour and a half, then kicks in.. That's a long down time if it's cold out.

is the temp in the room over shooting the temp setting?

This is what I am thinking what is happing.

Boiler comes on, heats the house pretty fast, and the temp over shoots the set point. Now the house may be 76 degrees.

The house is now "hot".... boiler sits for 1 1/2 hours till the house cools down.. Now it's cooling down, you start to feel cool since there is a temp change...

Old 12-27-04, 06:10 PM
C
house cools down too fast

Jay,
The house heats up in probably 2o minutes. It does not overshoot the tempersture. It is within 1degree on the low side of 74.

Old 12-27-04, 07:52 PM
Ok, if it's running for 20 minutes, and shut off for 1 1/2 hours, it must be keeping temp just fine?

Old 12-28-04, 05:15 PM
C
house gets cold quickly

I think I know why it feels that way. I had Carpet in the living room. when it was there the house was warmer longer. However since we sanded the floor and removed the carpet, the insulation which was caused by the carpet is gone so the whole house feel less warm especially the basement which had a definitely warmer feeling. More warmth escapes through the floor.

Old 12-29-04, 01:57 PM
I can relate to the cold floor issue. This past summer we lifted the old carpeting and pad on our house built in 1935. To our surprise we found beautiful oak hardwood floors. Some refinishing and boy did we have a gorgeous living room. Then came winter this year and on cold days I can literally feel the cooler air actually moving across the surface of the hardwood floor. We have decided to compromise and reinstall some nice carpeting to get that cozy warmth again. Besides the carpetin sure saves on other things like when we drop the remotes or the cordless phones. Happy New Year!
-Bob

Old 12-29-04, 02:12 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

You dont say how hot the water is in the boiler 160o on 180o off??? All the baseboards heat are the fin all clean on the under side. 1935 what do you have in the walls and attic for insulation???? It all helps.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: