frozen pipes hot water recirculating (steam)

Old 12-27-04, 03:03 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
frozen pipes hot water recirculating (steam)

Hi all - recently purchased a home - insufficient insulation & air infiltration lead to frozen/burst pipes.

I have a steam radiator heating system.

Someone recommended an Auto CIrc (pump installed under sink to automaticaly circulate water back to heater - keeps water hot may prevent frozen pipes)

Anyone have experience with this or any comparable product?

BTW I will be insulating and boxing of plumbing (wish I'd realized it needed to be done in the summer!)

Old 12-27-04, 04:22 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
First, I am not clear on how a steam system froze, unless it was turned off.

I don't know how you are going to continuously circulate water thru a steam system, and then try to use steam also. Steam and water cannot co-exist in the same pipe. In order to get water circulating, every radiator would have to have water in it. What is going to happen when you turn on steam? When live steam hits liquid water, everything is going to shake, rattle, and roll.

Perhaps I am missing something here. What you are suggesting would probably work with a hotwater system, just not sure how to make it work with a steam system.

Old 12-27-04, 05:58 PM
If you are concerned about your hot and cold water to the faucets freezing, I think you should find a way to insulate them instead of circulating water through them. There must be a lot of cold getting in somewhere to freeze those pipes. But I guess I'm not telling you anything new.

Ken

Old 12-27-04, 08:54 PM
A
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Good pickup Ken, I guess I did not read that post close enough.

Old 12-28-04, 08:26 AM
K
There is an unbelievable amount of air infiltration! - I'm planning on using blown in insulation throughout the first floor of home - (I removed upper plaster walls & insulated w/rolled) also I've got a pretty good idea where the air is leaking in - I found it when the water started leaking out!

I'll be sealing leaks as I discover them - seems to me that an additional row or two of siding would help - almost seems that the air is leaking through the plate .....

Old 12-28-04, 12:59 PM
K
Recirculate/steam system clarification

First, I am not clear on how a steam system froze, unless it was turned off.

The Heating portion of the system is fine - my hot water comes from furnace not stand alone water heater. the water lines froze not the heating lines.

I was inquiring about circulating water thru the water lines to prevent freezing. This wouldn't affect the heating lines at all.

I don't know how you are going to continuously circulate water thru a steam system, and then try to use steam also. Steam and water cannot co-exist in the same pipe. In order to get water circulating, every radiator would have to have water in it. What is going to happen when you turn on steam? When live steam hits liquid water, everything is going to shake, rattle, and roll.

Perhaps I am missing something here. NO I don't think you missed it, I think I didn't explain myself properly - the recirulating pumps I've seem only mention stand alone water heaters, but I can't see why they would'nt work w/ water heated in furnace

What you are suggesting would probably work with a hotwater system, just not sure how to make it work with a steam system.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: