In need of advice about weil mclaine boiler

Old 12-28-04, 05:33 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
In need of advice about weil mclaine boiler

My house is just over a year old,(moved in 11/2003), and is equipped with a Weil Mclaine Gold boiler and a Bock hot water heater, both being oil fired. The heating system is a Hydronic forced hot air with the central air biult in. Now the oil company i use, very large company in my area, told me that the boiler was a cold start boiler and that it was not good, leaky gaskets, bla bla bla. They recommended a new aquastat.

So, I took their advice and since it was the winter I would see how things went and if I had any problems I would consider it. the winter came and went without any problems. Summer came and went, no problems. Fall of 2004, called oil company to clean and inspect boiler. They came and do what they do, personally I didnt see anything different except for the aquastat. It was the kind they recommended to me a year before, Honeywell 8124. Now I called them and asked them why did they change it. I was told that it was a better unit and they would not charge me for it. YAY!. The unit now leaks water out of the blowout valve. Personally I dont think they did anything but change the aquastat. I called them again, they sent a tech, said he adjusted flame and the water leaking was normal. NORMAL??. Nice and dry BEFORE they screwed with it.

I did a search on this board and came up with aquastat settings of 180 and 160 and 10.

my aquastat is set at 170, 120, and 15

I also notice I am using alot more oil this season compared to last season, and at 1.70 a gallon the oil company is loving me.

I need some advice PLEASE!

LI Tom

Old 12-28-04, 06:42 PM
I'm not quite sure what control was on originally. Was it an L8148? That is normally what is on a cold start boiler. Was there a problem that precipitated the call that ended in the recommendation of the new aquastat? Did the tech check your expansion tank? I don't think the two things are related but water out of the relief valve is NOT normal. You want to find out why it is leaking and how to stop it. Sometimes there is too much employee turnover in the big companies and sometimes there is a lack of training coupled with an overworked service manager. Perhaps you could request a tech with more experience.

Ken

Old 12-28-04, 06:59 PM
L
I dont recall the model # of the control that was on the boiler before, never thought I would have to look!

With the house being new I had to have an oil company inspect the system and do the initial start-up. They filled the oil tank and got it running.

I have had 2 techs here and I requested different people each time. It is next to impossible for me to be home when they come, so its the wife taking care of business, and I am going by what the wife tells me and from what the tech wrote on the work order, which both are very vague.

The amount of water leaking out of the PRV is not much but its still leaking.

I dont know if the expansion tank was checked.

I will have to have them come out again.

Are the 180-160-10 aquastat settings ok for my system? I put more trust in you guys rather than this damn oil company.

Old 12-28-04, 07:06 PM
Those settings are fine.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: