Flow Check Valves

Old 12-29-04, 07:56 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Flow Check Valves

I posted a while back with a gravity feed problem and now I was hoping for some advice from a pro. I have a brand new boiler with three zones. I went from a one zone system to three because of an addition. I finally determined throught the Taco website, someone here gave me, that flow check vlaves should be installed on all multizone systems. The plumbing company that installed the system tells me they never install these and that I shouldn't be having any problems. However, I do. The system gravity feeds to the two new zones every time the boiler heats up the water. I am sure the flow check valves will fix the problem. My question: Is it general practice to put these in all multi-zone systems? If so, I want the plumber to at least supply the labor free and I will buy the parts. If I have to pay someone, I think I will find someone else since they should have been installed in the first place. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Old 12-29-04, 08:01 AM
If the 3 zones are served with circulators. Each having its own circulator, you will need a flow check for each zone. Taco makes a circulator with a flow check built in. Its model number ends with IFC. If you don't use that pump, you will need a separate flow check. If the zones are controlled with zone valves, you will NOT need flow checks. Pretty cut and dried.

Ken

Old 12-29-04, 01:13 PM
M
Valves

Thanks for the help. I may end up replacing the circulators if the plumber won't come back. It may be cheaper where I can replace them myself. They are valved so they can be removed without draining the system.

Old 12-29-04, 02:08 PM
That is a good plan and if you purchase 3 new pumps, you can keep the motor and cartridges from the 3 you have and just change the body. It will be simpler and you will have 3 spare cartridges that have never been wet.

Ken

Last edited by KField; 12-29-04 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-30-04, 07:01 AM
M
Bodies

Thanks again Ken.

I think you just answered another question I was about to ask. I was wondering if I could just get the portion of the circulator with the intrigal flow check since the whole assembly runs about $150.00 (x3) and the ones I'm using are already brand new. But I'm sure it isn't sold seperately if it's in the body itself.

The only reason I'm leary about installing the flow checks myself is that the plumber used plastic supply and return lines. I don't have the tools to cut and crimp the fittings in to allow a solder joint for the flow checks. I could probably cut the lines with a hacksaw and smooth out the cut with a file and/or reamer but I can't see buying a crimper for a one time job unless it is cheap which is unlikely. Plus I'll have to drain and bleed the system.

Dave

Old 12-30-04, 03:17 PM
I think the best plan is to replace the pumps. $150 sounds a little high though. Did you check around much for prices?

Ken

Old 01-04-05, 05:52 AM
M
Circulators

I did finally find them through FW Webb for about $95.00. However, you need to have an account with them or be a licensed plumber. Fortunatley someone I work with has an account through his wastewater business so he picked them up for me.

Thanks again for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: