Boiler goes on and off every 5 minutes or so

Old 12-31-04, 05:52 AM
ennovy88
Visiting Guest
Boiler goes on and off every 5 minutes or so

Hello..........I have a 5 year old boiler and it has done well over the years...during the winter season...we set the stat at 70 degrees while home and put it at 65 degrees when we are away...but noticed that once the house has warmed up....and the boiler shuts off....thereafter its comes on and goes off like every 5 to 10 minutes...is that normal... i wonder if that is why I have a high gas bill every winter (which range from $169 - 193 monthly).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-04, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The thermostat determines when the heat is on or off. It doesn't matter how many times the boiler runs as long as the house reaches and maintains temperature. If the house overheats, the runtime could be a tip off that there is a problem.

Ken

Old 01-01-05, 12:18 PM
ennovy88
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ken...

I guess the boiler is running accordingly............thanks again.

Old 01-04-05, 06:21 AM
jeffreas
Visiting Guest
short cycling

on and off ever 5-10 minutes is short cycling boiler, and not normal, would look more into it. like driving auto in stop and go traffic, drops effic, wears out other parts premature, etc

Old 01-04-05, 07:30 AM
You said when the house warms up. What I think is that the water is warming up and the house still has a few degrees to go. The boiler goes off on high limit which has a 10 degree differential built into it. You didn't say whether it was gas or oil and it only matter when trying to match the boiler output to the load. If your high limit is set at 180 degrees, when the water reaches 180, the burner will shut down and the water will contunie to circulate. When the water temp drops to 170 (which could be 5 minutes) the boiler will start up again and reheat the water to 180. This sequence would be different if it was 10 below outside because everyones boiler is oversized on most days of the year. It is better that way than to not be able to maintain a desired comfort level when the temp drops low outside. While jeffreas was correct about short cycling, there isn't much you can do about it until gas and oil systems have variable output units available. It would be similar to driving at a constant 5 miles per hour through town so as to hit all the lights when they were green. You would probably get shot if you drove that slow and the end result would be worse than the stop and go.

Ken

Old 01-05-05, 06:27 AM
M
Prices

Just as a side comment: I don't know what part of the country you live in but hear in New England, a monthly gas bill for $160-$200 is not that unreasonable. Last year when it was unusually cold, even for New England, I had a couple of months where I paid closer to $300. I did have an old boiler and have seen some savings this year with a brand new one, but it also hasn't been nearly as cold as last year. My last bill during a relatively mild November was still around $130.

Old 01-05-05, 11:22 AM
ennovy88
Visiting Guest
Boiler goes on and off every 5 mins. or so

Thanks everyone.....I have gas and steam radiators and I leave in New York....I must say the boiler keeps the house warm and its only 5 years old.