Honeywell Wireless Thermostat System Installation

Old 01-01-05, 05:20 PM
longmian
Visiting Guest
Smile Honeywell Wireless Thermostat System Installation

Hi, there,

I have a W8665E and a T8665A wireless system from Honeywell. I want to replace my current CT3500A with this system (using only one zone). I followed the instructions and could not get it setup.

Here is what I did.

- Connect "W" terminal of "Zone 1" on the W8665E to terminal 1 of the TACO 571-2 zone valve (terminal 1 is the top most terminal on 571-2 and it was connected to the CT3500A terminal "W" before I removed CT3500A.).

- Connect terminals "R" and "C" of W8865E to the "Hot" and "Common" terminals of the transformer, respectively. The terminals 3 and 2 of 571-2 are also connected to the "Hot" and "Commom" terminals of the transformer and I thought the valve 571-2 is powered this way and assumed the W8865E should be powered this way too.

- I do not have fan so I did not connect terminal "G" of the W8865E.

- Install batteries into CT3500A.

- Place the "Zone 1" DIP switch to "On". The manual says the "Zone 1" of W8865E LED should flash, but I did not see that and I stopped at this point.

Could anyone point out what I did wrong? Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Robin

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-05, 05:49 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think that you will find that terminal 3 of the zone valve does not go to the transformer that operates the zone valve. It goes to the boiler relay. You probably have the wire from zone valve #1 terminal correct. The W terminal should go to terminal 1 which you have right. The R terminal should be the R or hot from the power transformer and the C should be the C from the transformer. You may have them reversed at the thermostat. I think you are close to getting it working but be careful when you mix wires on the zone valve with the aquastat or you risk burning out one of the transformers.

Ken

Old 01-02-05, 08:54 AM
longmian
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot, Ken.

I have 3 zones in the system and the wiring seems to be very confusing (I believe it was done by the previous owner and probably not very clean.). I tend to think you are right and I will connect the R and C of the W8665E directly to the transformer and see how it goes.

I will post here about what I get.

Thanks again.

Old 01-03-05, 11:02 AM
longmian
Visiting Guest
I connected the "R" and "C" of W8665E directly to the transformer. The receiver and the sender seems to be working together, I mean, when changing the settings on the T8665A, W8665E seems to responds by flashing the "COMM" LED. Thanks to Ken for correcting me on the wiring!

However, the heat does not seem to come on. I guess there is still something wrong with my wiring. This time, it may be the "W" terminal on the W8665E. The manual syas it goes to the "Stage 1 Heat". I connect it to the terminal 1 (top most terminal) of the 571-2. Is this correct? Or, where should I connect it to?

(I tried to put back the CT3500A on and the system worked correctly.)

As for more information, my previous CT3500A "R" and "W" terminals connect to the terminal 1 and 3 of the 571-2 valve (if I am not mistaken this time).

Thanks,

Robin

Last edited by longmian; 01-03-05 at 11:17 AM.
Old 01-03-05, 11:12 AM
Let me explain it to you a different way. The transformer that powers the zone valve does so by putting 24 volts to terminal1 and 2 on the valve. The thermostat has the ability to break that circuit so it has control. That is all it takes to work the valve. Terminals 2 & 3 on the valve are an end switch that closes to start the circulator and burner when the switch is closed. When the valve opens all the way, it closes the switch between terminals 2 & 3. As you can see, terminal 3 should have no contact with the voltage from the transformer that operates the valve or you risk burning out the coil in the relay on your boiler control. Terminal #2 is common to both transformers but terminal #3 must only go to the aquastat. It may be a good idea to rewire the whole works if it is a nightmare. It can look much better if you take your time and just use the wires you need. You seem to almost have it fixed but you need to get that other wire off of terminal #3 or you will smoke something before you know it.

Ken

Old 01-03-05, 12:42 PM
longmian
Visiting Guest
Thanks, Ken.

I start thinking the system may have been wired the opposite way to the color code: red wire might connect to common on the transformer.

So, is there any way to tell which wire is hot and which one is common from the transformer (I have a multimeter but do not know how to find this out.)? Or, it does not really matter? If I connect the W8665E incorrectly, I mean, hot to "C" and common to "R", is there any danger? Just want to swap and see how it goes, but not sure by doing so, if I will damage the receiver W8665E.

Thanks again.

Robin

Old 01-03-05, 01:43 PM
Since we are working with ac it is not critical. It isn't terribly important which wire on the transformer goes to which terminal on the thermostat as long as you make a circuit through the thermostat and back to the zone valve terminals # 1 & 2. That should do it for you.

Ken

Old 01-12-05, 05:59 PM
longmian
Visiting Guest
I think I finally got this through. What I did was to swap the "R" and "C" connections on the thermostat (W8665E). Like I said, the whole wiring is pretty confusing and not following the color code. Who ever did the wire before acted just for his/her convenience and unfortunately, it gave me such a hard time.

Many thanks to Ken for his help!!!

Robin