low water pressure

Old 01-03-05, 06:04 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
low water pressure

I have a hot water system with the pressure gage reading 7-9 lbs. Is there a way to tell whether the gauge if off or the water make-up valve is not working properly? Also the search tool for the forum is not to the right of the title does anyone know where it really is.
Just Al
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by arkayassoc; 01-03-05 at 07:06 AM. Reason: e-Mail addresses not allowed in Forum Posts
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-05, 07:15 AM
A
Just Al

I have edited your post to delete your e-mail address, not allowed in DIY Posts.

If you would like to receive an e-mail when someone replies to your post, you can also set that up by clicking in the blue toolbar above on the link "User CP" which is the User Control Panel.

In the top right corner of this Forum (and every Forum), just to the right of Threads in Forum: Boilers - Steam & Hot Water Systems is a pull down link to allow you to Search this Forum for previous posts about a similar problem. For example, if you are having a problem with Zone Valves, type in “zone valves”, without the quotes, and click on Go. This will bring up a history of posts that you can review to see if your problem has been addressed before. NOTE: You have to be in the opening page of the forum, where the list of all posts in the forum is displayed, in order to have the Search this Forum option.

If you do not have water coming out of the bleed for the radiator that is furthest from the boiler, and the highest in the system, then you do not have sufficient boiler pressure, regardless of what the pressure gauge says. For a one story house the pressure should be in the range of 12-15 psig, or 15-18 psig for a two story house.

To check the auto-fill valve, it is a bell shaped valve with a knob or stem coming out of it. It will be in the domestic water supply line into the boiler. Turn the stem clockwise, and you should hear water flowing thru the valve, and see the pressure increase on the gauge.

Please post back if you need more help. Hit the Post Reply button below.

Good luck,

Old 01-05-05, 12:13 PM
J
low pressure

Thank You for the reply. I am still a little confused. My radiators are fim and copper tubing and have no vents anywhere so I have no way of bleeding at the end of the line. My make up valve is the type you lift on the valve stem which seems to work but my question is if it does work why doesn't it sense the low pressure and fill the system?
Thanks,
Just Al

Old 01-05-05, 12:32 PM
Wink

You dont say how old this boiler set up is. Now all auto fill valves come set for 15Psi. Could yours not work??? Any noise in any of the baseboards?? Are all the baseboards hot??

ED

Old 01-06-05, 12:35 AM
J
Thanks

The system is 10 years old and is a Trianco heatmaker. I don't have any noise in the baseboards and they all get hot. I just figured either the gauge is OOC or the make up valve and was trying to figure out which one it was. Final question on this subject will the system cut out when the pressure reaches zero?
Thank you again
Just Al

Old 01-06-05, 01:57 PM
Wink

On hot water will it shut off at 0 no. Id say find out what works now. You do need water in there for sure.

ED

Old 01-06-05, 03:31 PM
J
Thanks

Thank you for your help.