How do I heat my basement?????

Old 01-04-05, 11:25 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
How do I heat my basement?????

Hello, I just installed an NY Thermal Legacy boiler in my house. It replaced the 40 year old boiler that used to be in the basement.

The old boiler emitted a lot of heat in the basement, but, the new boiler barely emits any heat from its shell which means that my basement is now very cold.

The system is a one pipe, hot water type with baseboards on 1st and 2nd floors.

What do I need to do to get heat back into my basement and how do I go about it please?

Can I just buy some of those special venturi "t's" and cut the 1" pipe that goes around the basement and then run some 1/2" copper pipe from those "t's" down to the floor in the basement into a radiator or baseboard heater? Or is there something special needed for heating a basement with a hot water heating system?

Vic

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 04:23 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vic,

If it were me, I would go to a junk yard/salvage metal yard and buy some old cast iron radiators and pipe them up in my basement. Be sure you put bleeder valves in at the highest point in the piping to purge air.

I did this, and have never regretted it. My basement workshop is toasty, and most of the heat loss helps heat the first floor!

But then, I am not a fan of baseboard, finned tube radiators. I am kinda partial to the old cast iron rad's that are a great heat sink.

Old 01-05-05, 09:17 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
That's a terrific suggestion, but, the water in the system normally runs at 190 degrees F. (for DHW supply) and this could seriously damage someone's skin if they touched the radiator, wouldn't it? The baseboard has a protective cover with an air space between the cover and radiator.

I could be wrong about this though. Any other opinions?

Old 01-06-05, 07:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Victorious1_1
That's a terrific suggestion, but, the water in the system normally runs at 190 degrees F. (for DHW supply) and this could seriously damage someone's skin if they touched the radiator, wouldn't it?
Yes, it can, but think of this. My father has a house built in 1792. MANY people have older houses with these types of radiators, especially in New England. Bottom line is: Don't touch 'em, and there;s no problem!

I doubt you'll have kiddies running around your basement, and I doubt YOU'LL be inclined to touch them. Through clothing, there's no real problem, either. I even have a 4 year old that lived with my father for 3 of his first years, and he never got burned.

I wouldn't worry.

Chris

Old 01-06-05, 07:56 PM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Thanks for alleviating my fears Chris. I think the charm of the older radiators is really quite pleasant as some were very attractive in their styling.

I appreciate your help guys and will start looking around for a couple of those old rads for my basement.

Thanks again for all the info and tips guys.

Vic

Old 01-06-05, 08:46 PM
A
I have several sact iron radiators that are covered with a decorative expanded metal that is attached to a 1X2 wooden frame. It eliminates the burn potential, and adds to the decorative appeal. You can easily build them, and paint them to match the room decor.

Old 01-07-05, 05:36 AM
Victorious1_1
Visiting Guest
Great idea. Thanks Rick.

Vic