proper boiler bypass adjustment

Old 01-05-05, 12:44 AM
stevegb
Visiting Guest
proper boiler bypass adjustment

I've recently had my old gravity system replaced with a new cast iron boiler with a circ pump included. I am very pleased with this new system as its working well. I was wondering what the proper adjustments for the boiler bypass piping should be. My system has the return and bypass valve fully opened and the supply valve is only opened about two full turns, the supply and return valves are both 1-1/4 inch and the bypass is 1 inch the circ pump is mounted on the supply line. Do these seem to be the proper valve adjustments my concern being the cast iron heat exchanger and thermal shock.thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-05, 06:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I don't think thermal shock is going to pose you a problem. One major reason for the bypass is to keep water moving through all the radiators and to let the boiler feed water to the system at its full capacity without having the reverse aquastat cycling the pump. You didn't say if the boiler also provides domestic hot water, but if it doesn't the bypass is unnecessary. It is also hard to know what position a gate valve is in. 2 turns doesn't tell you enough to know what relative position it is in. If the system works well, you probably have everything set very close to optimum. Keep that bypass full open.

Ken