Help in new Heating System

Old 01-09-05, 05:21 AM
MrVulcan
Visiting Guest
Help in new Heating System

I will keep this as short as I can. I have a 55 year old block house with the worst heating system that there is. It was oil at first thin I changed to Gas several years ago. The heating system has no heat ducks or can it have. The reason is the floor is cement flex core which has 6 in holes going thru the entire length. That is where the problen is because the heat goes thru these holes then comes out the baseboard. I have to heat up probably 100 tons of cement before I get any heat and this takes about 6 hrs. The temp actually drops when I turn on the furnace.
I was thinking of switching to Hot Water Heat but know very little about this. I would like to do as much as I can this summer it the cost is not to much.
Any ideas or suggestions would be appricated.

Last edited by MrVulcan; 01-09-05 at 05:28 AM. Reason: duplicate
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-05, 05:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your system may not be as bad as you think. It is similar to modern radiant heat but no new systems use air, they use water to heat the air. If you turn the thermostat back when you are gone, you will get into the condition you described where it takes a long time to recover temperature. If you keep the temp stable, you will probably be more comfortable.

Ken

Old 01-09-05, 12:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink

Over the years have put lots of hot air heat in the floors. not sure just what you have there. Is the inside cement broke from the outside?? If like a slab is there insulation around it on the outside? But Like Ken said if you just set it and let it be it works just fine. Have had womensay they know just where the pipes are cause that is what they walk onall the time ,its warmer.

ED

Old 01-09-05, 02:06 PM
MrVulcan
Visiting Guest
This is old tech stuff

To better understand the system I will try and explain.
The floor above ground is FlexCore and spans the entire width of the house. They are put in by a crane and are 16 in wide and 8 in deep with two 6 in holes going the entire length. After they were installed from the bottom holes were knocked thru to the holes. Then ducking was added from the furnance to the holes. The heat goes thru the entire house thru the flex core. Also there is a 2 in layer of cement over the flex core.