Weil McLain steam boiler and chimney

Old 01-14-05, 04:36 PM
jaczz99
Visiting Guest
Weil McLain steam boiler and chimney

We just had plumbers installed a new Weil McLain steam boiler EG45. Everything was fine on the first day, they tested the boiler before they left.

Next day the boiler won't fire up even though we adjusted the thermstat to 80 F. We called up the plumber, and one of the guys showed up. He checked it for awhile and then he pushed the damper button, the boiler worked again. He told us that we need to have our chimney cleaned up.

We do not have a fireplace in the house, do we need to clean the chimney? Does the steam boiler has anything to do with chimney? Can someone please help...

Thanks in advance.

John

Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-05, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the button he pushed was tha spill switch, then it means that some heat did not go up the chimney and it spilled out and tripped the switch. It should be addressed. For the most part, if you pull the pipe out of the chimney and look in, you will see if it is blocked ot not. Most chimneys go straight up and any blockage would be in the bottom. I would have thought that the contractor would have been more concerned for his own liability than to tell you to have the chimney cleaned and leave. If you have a CO problem and the only thing that has been done recently was a new boiler, he may end up wishing he followed up on the installation and chimney cleaning.

Ken

Old 01-15-05, 05:19 PM
jaczz99
Visiting Guest
Thanks Ken...
Last night we used vacuum cleaner cleaned up the bottom of chimney, and we can feel air coming thru from the roof. However, THE BOILER WOULDN'T FIRE UP AGAIN.
I think the button he pushed is split switch for damper. I pushed the same button last night. The boiler worked again...
The plumber insisted that it's our chimney problem caused hot air sinked in the basement. I will call up a cleaner early next week... Let's see what is the real problem.

Thanks,
John

Old 01-16-05, 05:35 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, but if you felt air coming DOWN the chimney, you do have a problem. There should usually be an updraft there. If you did feel air coming down, something was causing it. Either some sort of ventilation fan running in the house pulling a negative pressure or an external cause like a low chimney top that lets wind push air down it. I hope you get it resolved soon and please let me know what was the cause if you determine it.

Ken

Old 01-17-05, 09:16 AM
jaczz99
Visiting Guest
ken,
We had our chimney cleaned yesterday. Not much dirt inside. The boiler was working fine. It automatically fired up when I adjusted the thermostat to 70F. We tested it several time last night, everything worked perfect. I finally took a deep breath and relexed.
However, things went bad again early this morning... We found out there was no heat about 4 o'clock this morning, and the boiler couldn't fire up. AGAIN, we have to push the split switch to make it work.
The plumber will come in this evening... Let's see what he is going to come up with.

Thanks.
John

Old 01-20-05, 05:29 PM
jaczz99
Visiting Guest
The problem was caused by the chimney... there is an extra open in the middle of chimney. So hot air cannot go up thru the chimney and it triggered the spilt switch...
The plumber came, and changed out the small portion of chimney. The steam boiler is working perfectly now.

Thanks.