Weil McLain Gold Oil Furance will not start

Old 01-20-05, 11:56 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Weil McLain Gold Oil Furance will not start

I have a Weil McLain oil furnace that will not keep running. I replaced the pump and it doesn't work. I tried adding water absorbant and anti-freeze solution and it doesn't work. When I throw a rag in the chamber it will run for a while and shut off. I can repeat it several times and it will not continue to run. I am wondering if it is an electrical problem because it does run but will not continue to fire. Help!!! It is cold.

Old 01-20-05, 03:14 PM
It is sounding like an ignition problem which is not related to the fuel system. The ignition transformer/ignitor may be defective. I have changed several this year already, on relatively new WGO units. You may have a little trouble locating it because it is not popular and Weil Mclain wants you to replace the electrode/HV wires at the same time. I susect that there was a defect somewhere and they are trying to make all the problems go away in one fix.

Ken

Old 01-22-05, 03:47 AM
D
Problem was resolved

Turns out the transformer was bad. I had figured out the problem was electrical in nature. The transformer was taken off and taken to a plumbing supply where they determined it was bad. It was replaced and it ran fine for a while and then shutdown. I had to call the repair man again and it turns out there sludge in the pipes where the oil feeds where entering the wall was clogged. That was cleaned and it has been running fine ever since. The sludge had ruined the pump, the transformer was regular maintainance. Thanks for you help!!

Old 01-24-05, 04:49 PM
D
Problem was not resolved

Turns out the problem was not resolved. Boiler ran for another 8 hours and shut down. It was suggested the lines to the tank are in bad condition or clogged. The work around is to use a 55 gallon drum or a long copper tube running into the in ground tank from the cap. Is the pump on the burner strong enough to pull oil from the tank in the latter configuration? It appears to have a problem and is spurting oil. This solution was the cheapest just to get a working system going. Help!!! It is freezing in here.

Old 01-24-05, 05:09 PM
Thumbs up

Shhhhhh! To get by I have put a full 5 gal can of fuel oil near by the pump and run a short copper line over and in it also run a return line to get by for a day or so.
can be a 55 gal by it there just take the oil lines off that are there and run new short ones to the drum for now.
you say it lit when you put rags in sure it should and it will run till something turns it off. It dont just go out on you. many many oil burners work with controls with intermittent ignition. that turns off the transformer after the burner is on and running.. You could have pin holes in the oil line from the tank---just a could be.

ED

Old 01-24-05, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
Spurtting oil is usually a symptom of an air leak, or a restriction in the lines. Has anyone put a vacuum gauge on the system? High (10+" of vac) would indicate a restriction of some sort. Low (1-2") could indicate an air leak. The pump should be able to pull fuel thru a line down thru the cap. Another thought---Have you checked the pump coupling? It could be slipping. It is also possible the pump is bad.

Last edited by Grady; 01-24-05 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-26-05, 03:20 AM
J
Weil McClain lock out or latch out

I found with the Gold Weil McClain boiler that it is a finicky boiler but a good one, i had a air leak on the return side that gave me all kinds of problems, i wound up putting a Tiger Loop on the side of the boiler, now it runs even better then before, no more problems. Jim

Old 01-28-05, 03:49 AM
D
Weil McLain Problem was temporarily resolved

The boiler has been running for a few days with the work around, running a copper tube from the inlet from the tank and bypassing the fuel lines. As soon as money permits, we have already located a 250 gallon tank to inside the basement and decommision the in ground tank. Thanks Guys!!!

Old 01-28-05, 05:08 AM
How much oil do you still have in the underground tank?

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: