Upstairs Zone?

Old 01-24-05, 09:49 PM
B
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Upstairs Zone?

I just bought my first house 6 months ago. 2 stories, 3500 sq ft with a Burnham series 2 boiler. It was a forclosure and the company didn't winterize the pipes. So we had some people fix the pipes that we co.uld tell are leaking. This was when it was still warm out. When I first needed to uset the heat, I couldn't get the upstairs zone to heat up. I thought it was a prob with the valve- so I replaced that- It open and closes fine. So after driving myself crazy I finally stopped and thought about pressure! I must need the pressure higher to account for the upstairs zone to work. After raising the psi to 30 it worked. The only prob is it won't stay at 30 it always goes back to around 20. Shouldn't the presure stay the same once you have it to the pressure you want? Anyways - I found another leak 2nite, so I flushed the system and fixed the leak. Now I can't get the upstair zone to work again. I got all the air out of the system! Here's my thought- with air still in the pipes will that cause the real psi to actually lower? Therefore not having enough press to make the hot water flow to the upstairs? Or am I completely off- does the circulator make the water flow through the pipes? When I try and get all the air out should I start from the basement and work up or the opposite? The people that fixed my pipes said to never go above 20 psi but the h20 won't flow upstairs at the amount? Thanks any ideas would be awesome!!!--- MIKE

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-05, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You may have a problem with the pressure gauge. The relief valve opens at 30 psi so you probably would have had that dripping if you really were at 30psi. You could get water to a skyscraper (almost) with 30psi. 20 should be plenty to lift the water that high. As far as bleeding air, it doesn't really matter where you start and finish.

Ken

Old 01-25-05, 08:54 AM
B
Well over 30 psi-- It does blow out water. Sorry about that! Last night I got the water to start going through the upstairs then when I woke up it was cold as hell and no hot h2o flowing through even though the valve was open? Should my psi stay at a constant #, I find myself always adding h20 every couple of days!! Does this mean I probably have more leaks in the upstairs zone? COuld that make only the upstairs zone not work? It couldn't keep the pressure right? Thanks so much for your help!!!-- Mike

Old 01-25-05, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I have a system in my garage that was filled and purged 8 years ago and has not needed water added since. It is a 2 story building with radiant heat in the first floor and baseboard in the second floor. I have had the water feed isolated since the second week it was installed. That indicates to me that water is leaking out of wour system somewhere. It may be difficult to find but you can be sure it is doing damage somewhere. It is unlikely that air is getting in where the water is leaking out but if pressure is dropping every few days, water is getting out. You have to get all the air out (which I guess you did) and then monitor pressure. The circulator moves water but won't pump it up to the second floor unless the whole loop is filled. If I had to take a stab, I'd say you still have air in that zone.

Ken

Old 01-25-05, 01:53 PM
B
Thanks- I will keep trying to get the air out. Does the air have to be in that zone to effect that zone? I think I may have found at least one leak- I can hear what seem to be a dripping noise coming from the inside of a wall!! How fun, time for demolition!! Thanks again!!