New aquastat hooked up backwards???

Old 01-26-05, 09:14 AM
mandilee
Visiting Guest
New aquastat hooked up backwards???

I had a new dual aquastat installed today. The boiler is now maintaining a 160 temp. When we turned the furnace on the pump ran then kicked of at 130. The boiler temp reached 160 and is kicking on and off to maintain that temp. The pump will not turn on to circulate the hot water. The guy who hooked it up said the pump should turn off when the water temp drops to 130 when the furnace not running, but it's doing the opposite, it kicks off when it heats up. Could someone please tell me how fix this? Were freezing here.

Mandi

Old 01-26-05, 02:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well, you haven't told us nearly enough to have s be able to help you. What brand and model is the aquastat? Is it a gas or oil system? The only stab I will take in the dark is to have you make sure you have the high and low settings 20 degrees apart and that they are not reversed. Other than that, we need info, info, info.

Ken

Old 01-26-05, 02:35 PM
mandilee
Visiting Guest
Sorry Ken, I never even heard of one of these until 3 days ago. It's oil heat model Weil McLain, water boiler. The aquastat is a Honeywell L4081A Dual. We had it installed by a pro. He set the one meter at 130 for the pump and the temp at 150 for the water. The pump turns off when the water temp hits 130, where it should be kicking on...basically circulating cold water. Another thing that concerns me is our psi is running at 22-26 when the water temp hits 150. From what I've read it should be between 10-15, ideally 12. Is that correct.

Thank you so much for your help!
Mandi

Old 01-26-05, 02:37 PM
mandilee
Visiting Guest
oops, it gas heat. See, I really am clueless.

Mandi

Old 01-28-05, 08:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Mandi

Without having the rest of the aquastat model number, particularly the letter after the L4081, I can't say if the control is operating properly or not. Just guessing here but it is possible the installer used an incorrect model.

Old 01-31-05, 03:38 PM
mandilee
Visiting Guest
Hi. I did include the only letter in the model number in the previous post. Honeywell L4081A Dual is all it says, would there be additional letters that I'm not seeing? My husband turned the dial for the pump, which had been previously set at 130 to 170. This way, the pump is on and cirulating the heat. The pump does not turn off at all now. We have yet to reach the person who installed it. It is either the wrong aquastat or hooked up wrong.

Old 01-31-05, 06:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Mandilee

Sorry, I didn't see the "A" in the earlier post. While looking at Honeywell's wiring diagrams, I see there are a couple of different ways to wire the L4018A depending on what you are trying to do & what other contols there are on the boiler. I need to know what other controls you have.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: