Water Hammer - Steam Heat System

Old 01-27-05, 11:31 AM
robfinora
Visiting Guest
Water Hammer - Steam Heat System

Hi,

I have an old 2-pipe steam system in my house that is working fine except for a loud banging noise I hear throughout the house (water hammer I guess). My boiler is fairly new, maybe 15 years old and the pipes look like they have about 50 yrs on them....but the system works fine and heats the house with no other problems. There are no leaks. Any suggestions to help with the banging?

Regards,
Rob

Old 01-27-05, 02:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The banging occurs where steam meets up with water laying in a pipe or fitting. Sometimes a hanger has come loose and the pipe is sagging, leaving a place for water to lay. It will be very difficult to troubleshoot in the forum. It takes a trained eye to walk through a system like that and pinpoint the problem. The pipes must pitch down the entire way from the boiler to the last drip off of the main. Radiators should pitch toward the trap end. Sometimes near-boiler piping gets done wrong during boiler replacement and you won't fix that unless you repipe it. If you find anything that seems odd, post back and I will give you my opinion on whether it is wrong or not.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: