Condensing vs Non-condensing Gas Boilers

Old 01-28-05, 08:59 AM
Pat S
Visiting Guest
Condensing vs Non-condensing Gas Boilers

I have read quite a bit about the various types of HW boilers and have a few questions. I have a single-pipe, venturi tee HW system (single zone w/circ pump) to cast iron rads and the 60+ yr old nat. gas boiler also provides DHW via an external tankless coil. I'm replacing with new, mid to high efficiency gas boiler w/ indirect fired water heater. I have approx. 50MBtuh heat load (plus 2.0 bath & washing machine for DHW) so I am looking at ~80MBtuh IBR capacity. My question is whether or not to consider modulating output, condensing boilers. I have read that my application (180 F HWS for CI rads + indirect water heater) is not conducive to condensing-type boilers because they require lower HWR temps and I will not benefit from this extra efficiency. The price differential is considerable so I have to determine cost effectiveness, also.

In a related question, I have read many bad things about units that use elastomer gaskets instead of push nipples (Weil-McLain). I know everyone has their favorites - any comments or suggestions on W-M or gaskets vs nipples?

Old 01-28-05, 07:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Gas Fired Boilers

Depending on your climate, how long you plan to stay in your house, the cost of gas in your area, etc., a modulating boiler could save you a substantial amount of money over its lifetime. Personally, I do not care for Weil-McLain's "elastomeric seals". I much prefer cast iron or at least steel push nipples. I don't know if it is available yet, but I saw a Buderus, modulating, stainless steel boiler which was most impressive.

Old 02-01-05, 01:44 PM
Pat S
Visiting Guest
In theory - yes! That is why I am asking contributors here to chime in, as real world experience and applications are more valuable. Given the previous info, will a condensing boiler really provide increased savings due to 90+ efficiency for my application - or should I go for an 85% AFUE with reset controls?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: