Draining, refilling hot water system

Old 02-04-05, 07:34 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Draining, refilling hot water system

I need to replace a leaking control valve (not a zone valve), and will be draining the system. I don't think using other control valves to isolate the leaking valve is a great idea as I expect if I start turning those valves then they will begin leaking too. I have never done this. I am concerned about refilling the system. I have an expansion tank attached to a thing labeled an Air Purger, and it has one of those little air vent thingies above it. I have baseboard heating in basement and 1st floor (ranch) and only two locations on 1st floor have air relief valves. In think it is a two pipe system. It's a four zone system, lotsa pipe, lotsa baseboard.

So when refilling whats the best way? Does the water push the air back to the boiler and the get released from the air vent by the expansion tank. Or should I work with the two baseboards that do have vents? How about the air that could be trapped at the other baseboards? Help!

Note:
During my annual system checkup the repairman replaced the inlet pressure reducer, and then after he purged the boiler via the boiler drain till it stopped pushing air. Is this an approach to use?

And do you recommend soldered joints over compression fittings?

Old 02-04-05, 01:41 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

And do you recommend soldered joints over compression fittings?
If its all copper there for sure Id stay with the solder.

During my annual system checkup the repairman replaced the inlet pressure reducer, and then after he purged the boiler via the boiler drain till it stopped pushing air. Is this an approach to use?
The water will push the air out of the boiler and up into all the pipes and baseboard
Yes for sure but you say that you had two bleeders there . Also use them it will help

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: