setting zone valve to manual

Old 02-05-05, 11:04 AM
braykart
Visiting Guest
setting zone valve to manual

I have 2 zones in a baseboard hot water heating system. One zone is fine. The other is cold. Based on what I read in this forum I tried a couple of things. I bled air from each of the baseboards - only a tiny bit came out of two, water came out of one and nothing out of the other. After this still no heat. I have put the zone valve on manual to see if that was the problem but I get no heat still (I'm not sure if this is even working). I opened a water facet type valve on the return line of the cold loop in the basement about 3 inches to the cold side from where the two zone pipes meet to go back into the boiler on the return trip and I get just an once or so of water out. I hear gurgling sounds but there is no water. I find this wierd as I thought I would at least get hot water from the side that is heating. It's almost as though there is no water in the cold side at all??

Only other thing I can say is I have some gurgling in the good loop (the one that is working).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by braykart; 02-05-05 at 04:27 PM. Reason: i found the manual lever underneath
Old 02-06-05, 04:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
When trying to purge a zone valve system, the valve for the zone you are trying to purge must be open.

Old 02-06-05, 11:18 PM
braykart
Visiting Guest
problem fixed

I ended up calling in an expert. Turns out the system was virtaully out of water as the regulator that drops the water pressure before it comes into the boiler system was blocked with silt. Water could not get by. Replaced that and then purged the system and everything works fine now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: