No hot water upstairs

Old 02-07-05, 09:58 AM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No hot water upstairs

I have a combi gas boiler fitted in the kitchen downstairs and sometimes have problems getting hot water from the upstairs bathroom taps. If i turn the central heating on and then turn the upstairs taps on i can get hot water. Why is this?

Cheers

Steve

Old 02-10-05, 06:08 PM
I guess what you mean is that there is no trouble getting water out of the faucets but it isn't hot enough. If that is the case, the problem is that the boiler maintaining temperature (low limit) is not high enough to produce domestic water hot enough to allow for the temperature drop between the boiler and your faucet. You could insulate the hot water pipes if you can get at them. Or you could turn up the low limit temp on the boiler. The reason it is better when the heat os on is because the boiler immediately trys to reach the high limit temp which is 20 or more degrees above the low limit temp. That gives you enough of a boost to get hot enough water to your faucet.

Ken

Old 02-11-05, 02:13 AM
S
The boiler is situated in the kitchen directly below the upstairs taps (2 meters) so i do not think insulating the pipes would make any difference. I have turned the water temperature up to full and still this makes no difference. Sometimes when i turn the upstairs taps on the boiler fails to fire up. I have noticed that when the tap is on and supplying warm water, if i restrict the flow, the temperature increases. Could there be a pressure issue?

Steve

Old 02-11-05, 06:01 AM
If you have a Moen faucet in the tub or shower, they are known for allowing cross connection when they fail.

Ken

Old 03-05-05, 04:50 PM
rtaylor
Visiting Guest
Moen faucet failure?

Would a failed Moen faucet in the tub/shower cause cold water to flow to other taps (i.e., bathroom sink, kitchen sink)? undefined

Old 03-06-05, 05:16 AM
Yes it would and it is hard to say how far the mixed water would go because it depends on the piping in your house. If you have shutoff valves on the shower faucet, just close one and see if it makes a difference.

Ken

Old 09-05-07, 07:15 PM
L
Originally Posted by stevelti View Post
I have a combi gas boiler fitted in the kitchen downstairs and sometimes have problems getting hot water from the upstairs bathroom taps. If i turn the central heating on and then turn the upstairs taps on i can get hot water. Why is this?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

I think I have the identical problem to what you have!!! Hot water can't get to the upstairs bathroom unless I turn on the central heating system! This doesn't seem right to me - I've just had a new water pump and hot water system installed and it made no difference. Did you ever get your problem resolved?!?! This is driving me nuts!!

Cheers mate,
Eric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: