Air in system

Old 02-11-05, 04:57 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Air in system

I had air in the boiler system and ended up getting all the air out. It lasted for about a month and now all I hear is a lot of bubbling in the pipes. I am guessing I have a leak in the pipes somewhere, since the pressure is greater on the inside of the pipes. What I don’t understand is that if water is leaking out, shouldn’t new water be entering into the system replacing the old water. I have included a link that shows my setup.
http://www.eseller13.com/boiler/
One the first picture the blue knob is the main feed into the system and is wide open. The two red things I am not sure what they are, but I guess the one on the right is a pressure valve since that leads to an open pipe on the floor. On the second picture which is just the other side of picture one, is a bypass valve. That is currently closed. When I open it I can hear water rushing in, but the pressure on the system jumps up and if I left it on the pressure would go into the danger range on the boiler.
If water is leaking from the system shouldn’t water be coming in from the main and entering through the two red valves or are the valves only one way direction for water flow. Or does this mean one of the valves is bad and might be stuck, not letting in new water. If anyone could help I would greatly appreciate any input.

Old 02-11-05, 05:19 AM
The red valve is actually a dual valve. And you are correct about the function with the open pipe coming off of the bottom. It is the relief valve. The other part is the automatic feeder and may not be working. You can lift the bar that is on the feeder and it will force the valve open just like when you open the bypass. That may unstick it and it may work automatically after that. Or it may open and not close completely adding too much pressure to the system. Then the relief valve would start to leak at around 28-30 psi. Once the system is full, there is no reason water needs to be added so you may have a leak somewhere.

Ken

Old 02-11-05, 07:18 AM
H
Thanks for your help. I will try that this weekend.

Old 02-11-05, 03:59 PM
H
I tried the valve and it works fine. The directional valve is for 12psi. I bled the system below 12psi and heard the valve open up and whatched the pressure on the boiler go back to 12 or 13psi. I know I probably have a leak somewhere in the system which is letting water out, but I don't understand how air gets in. If the pressure on the inside of the pipes is greater than the pressure on the outside, doesn't it make sense that water would flow out and no air would come in. If I am right is there any logical explanation on why I get air in the system and have to drain it ever month. Maybe I am just missing something. Everyone always tells me I am not all there. Thanks for any input.

Old 02-11-05, 04:46 PM
I won't make any judgements as to whether you are all there but the air comes in with the water. All water has oxygen in it and after being heated, the oxygen separates from the water and ends up causing your problem. Just keep an eye open for the leak. Someday, you will notice something abnormal and it will lead you to the leak.

Ken

Old 02-12-05, 01:44 PM
H
Thanks for your help and not making any judgement. lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: