Something New

Old 02-13-05, 04:21 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Something New

A friend asked me to do some plumbing on their house, which I said I'd have to read up on first. The gas-fired water heater and furnace (separate water tank) are both in the attic. The water heater is connected to the furnace via an "boiler in" & "boiler out" with 3/4 inch piping and the water heater tank also has cold and hot water in and out piping. The main shut-off is in the basement. Questions:

1. Any links I could go to read up on this?

2. Any special procedures that should be followed because the water heater is in the attic (vs in the basement, where I'm used to dealing with).

Thanks ahead of time!!

Old 03-11-05, 06:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I moved this over to this forum to see if anyone may have some insight in regards to this question.

Old 03-11-05, 07:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Edta

With boiler in & out connections, this sounds like an indirect water heater. These are heated by the hot water from the boiler & have no heat source of their own. Sounds strange to say the least, to have a water heater in the attic. With a 40 gallon tank, that is probably close to 400 pounds. Hope it never springs a leak or gets below freezing in that attic. If you can post some more details about what you are trying to do, maybe we can help. Make & model numbers of the equipment would be helpful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: