just changed safety valve still leaking pressure goes from 15 to 28
last year changed expansion tank amtrol 30 can some one help

Last edited by stuartc1; 02-15-05 at 08:18 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
Old 03-08-07, 12:37 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dettson HMD

I am having the same problem and have been thru numerous furnances (3) over 9 years.

The current furnace has been in place 8 months and once again blowing off through the pressure relief valve. Pressure swings from 26-34 psi.

They replaced the expansion tank and a valve just above it. Pressure still built up and blew off.

They instructed me to shut off the water intake into the heating system to see if the pressure would still build. It did, which they said indicated that the internal tank had to be leaking. A more senior tech looked at the furnance and they are now saying that the expansion tank is too small and in the wrong place for a house of my size (3800 sq ft). They say I need a 6 cubic ft tank installed above the furnace versus being on the side where it is now.

They say it is unlikely that the internal tank failed after 8 months, but I am very skeptical with the quality of this product.

I am on a drilled well and did have my water tested and according to the lab, there is nothing there that would cause any damage to the metals in my furnace.

Apologice for the long windedness but each of the steps may help in your problem resolution.

The manufacurerd alluded to the fact that the internal hot water tank would probably only last 8-9 years before it failed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: