Burner "POP" on start up ?

Old 02-22-05, 06:04 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Arrow Burner "POP" on start up ?

HI, my utica boiler works fine along with the Beckett burner. However, when the burner fires off, the first split second of the firing is a significant POP noise for a split second and then it continues to finish the cycle very smoothly and normally. then when the next cycle begins, the first second again starts with a POP from the burner. Any help is greatly appreciated. Would I look at nozzle, cad eye, sticks, or primary ignition? THANKS.
-Bob

Old 02-22-05, 06:25 AM
If the pop is the sound of combustion, a delayed oil valve could help. The best way to do that these days is with a 7184 primary control and a valve without a delay. The control takes care of any pre purge, and controls voltage to the valve and ignitor. I can only assume that the burner is setup correctly with no smoke and a CO2 reading between 10 and 11.5. If that has not been done, start there and go on to parts replacement/addition next.

If the pop isn't a combustion sound, you will have to give a better description before I could take another stab at it.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 06:45 AM
HI Ken...the pop is surely combustion. When the tech came last spring he drilled a hole into the exhaust stack about a foot from the boiler and put in a probe. He wrote some figures and told me that my bottom line was that I was 80.5% efficient. I can live with the pop if I know it is not dangerous.
Thank you... I surely value your support on here.
-Bob

Old 02-22-05, 07:11 AM
Some boilers are more prone to that type of noise than others. Weil McLain is noted for that. Part of the reason is the tightness of the flue passages in the boiler. Yours is similar. What needs to happen is for the flow of air to start up through the boiler before the flame ignites. When there is no flow and the flame starts, the expansion of gasses creates pressure and it can't get up through the boiler fast enough and the pop is the result. It is especially noticeable in units that are fired at their maximum rate. It isn't dangerous but can be annoying if it wakes you up. Sometimes a different nozzle can clear it up. Usually a hollow cone nozzle is quieter on startup and through the run cycle than a solid cone. So to summarize, no danger, pre-purge may help, hollow cone nozzle may be least expensive thing to try. Ask your tech on the next tune if he agrees and perhaps he will try a few different nozzle patterns to see if he can quiet it down for you.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 09:37 AM
Thanks so much....the forum is made great by the nice people who give the good advice. thanks again.
-Bob

Old 02-22-05, 10:36 AM
A
Its probably a delayed ignition. Ask the tech to come back and check the electrodes again before it blows the smoke pipe off the boiler

Old 02-22-05, 10:47 AM
To blow the smoke pipe off would require a bang or a boom. A pop won't do it nor will a thud or a thump.

Ken

Old 02-22-05, 11:05 AM
A
pops often turn into booms. Why take a chance

Old 02-22-05, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Angry Ask the tech to come back?

I know I'm going to get reprimanded by the moderators but enough is enough.

Al,
Why are you on "Do it Yourself" if all of your responces are going to be telling the questioner to call someone to take care of their problem? The reason most are here asking is to determine if a problem warrants calling a pro or if it is even something to be concerned about. Why don't you **************************************.

Last edited by KField; 02-22-05 at 05:32 PM. Reason: be nice
Old 02-22-05, 06:35 PM
A
Fine by me Grady. A furnace shouldnt pop puff bang or whatever when it comes on. I think telling him to call back the service guy is a good idea but if you think maybe he should try doing it himself then by all means explain it to him. Ever hear of delayed ignition or soot all over the house? That is what usually follows pops and bangs. Something is wrong there and what is he going to do to fix it?

Old 02-22-05, 07:08 PM
Every Weil McLain boiler I ever worked on came on with a POP as far as I'm concerned. It's just a characteristic of a boiler that doesn't have much space for combustion and has tight flue passages to boot. The pressure never makes it to the smokepipe because the flue passes choke it to death. It will come out the sight door and make you look like the dog on the little rascals but it won't blow the smoke pipe off unless there is something major wrong AND the smokepipe isn't fastened properly.

Ken

Old 02-23-05, 06:37 AM
I checked my smoke pipe and it is fastened on 4 sides with sheet metal screws. then I lifted the jacket top and the flue plate is bolted at all 4 corners. I don't think it is going anywhere. The loudest the combustion pop has ever been has been equivalent to a 6" balloon being popped. Thanks all.
-Bob

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: