Thermostat off but baseboards warm?

Old 02-23-05, 04:32 PM
lousahr
Visiting Guest
Thermostat off but baseboards warm?

We have three heating zones. In one of the zones (upstairs) the heat is staying at 71-72 and won't drop below. I have the thermostat set to turn the heat on if it drops to 62, but since it is always above 70 the furnace should not turn on. However, we have noticed that our baseboard heaters are always warm upstairs. Can anyone explain why this is happening?
House uses oil heat/water, furnace is original (at least 30 yrs old).

Old 02-24-05, 04:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Baseboard always warm

My guess would be either a zone valve or flow check stuck open or partially so.

Old 02-24-05, 05:26 PM
lousahr
Visiting Guest
Hi Grady,

How do I go about checking the flow ckeck to see if it is open?

Old 02-24-05, 05:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Checking Flow-Checks

With any zone, except the problem zone, calling for heat, feel the pipes downstream of the flow checks. If any except the zone calling are hot, that flow check is not holding. This works best if all zones are allowed to cool before starting.
Afterthought: Do you also get your domestic hot water from the boiler? If so, turn all thermostats down to well below room temperature & feel the pipes downstream of the flow checks. If you find a warm/hot one, it is likely your problem zone. Just turn up that thermostat & feel the pipes again for confirmation.

Old 02-25-05, 09:58 AM
lousahr
Visiting Guest
I do get my hot water from the furnace as I have a tankless sytem. I'll give the test this weekend. Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: