corn fired boiler question

Old 02-26-05, 05:21 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
corn fired boiler question

Has anyone used a corn fired boiler. It would work great for me as I raise a lot of corn. The question I have is if I go this way I no longer have a chimney in the basement to the first floor and from the attic out through the roof.The chimney remains in the first thru second floors. My current gas boiler(which needs to be replaced) is vented out the wall but the corn boiler must be vented thru a chimney according to the company.Is there any other options to vent his boiler? I do have access to the old chimney from the basement and the attic. What about a liner although I know nothing about them. Can it be vented out the wall and then into an outside chimney? Probably dumb questions as I know nothing about chimneys. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-26-05, 06:11 AM
You should probably add a chimney for the new boiler. I use hart and cooleys all fuel for anything as hot as that. Heres a url for that product
http://www.hartandcooley.com/vent/all_vent.htm
It is costly but it lasts forever and is made for coal, oil, wood. I'm sure they just forgot to say corn on the list. That stuff burns hot. I have seen a few corn stoves but no boilers. Seems like eating it has been a waste all these years. I don't think you can't use L-vent but you might check it out. An L-vent chimney is flimsy anyway in my opinion. I sure wouldn't run one all the way up the side of my house. I would (did) with the all fuel though. Good Luck.

Ken

Old 02-26-05, 12:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 25 Posts
Boiler venting

I'm not a big fan of them but another option might be a power sidewall venter such as Tjernlund's Side Shot. Approved for corn???

Old 02-26-05, 02:06 PM
Now theres a corny idea that may have some merit.
Call Tjernlund (the T is silent) at (800) 255-4208 and ask before you get serious about it.

Ken

Old 02-27-05, 05:49 AM
S
side shot

Why aren't you a fan of the side shot power vent? Is there a lot of problems with them? What is the cost?

Old 02-27-05, 09:27 AM
I don't know about Grady but I will take natural draft anyday over a power vented unit. More mechanical hardware, more switches, more problems. You can't beat the cost of natural draft. Once you build the chimney you have it made.

Ken

Old 02-27-05, 10:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Power vent vs. Natural draft

Originally Posted by KField
I don't know about Grady but I will take natural draft anyday over a power vented unit. More mechanical hardware, more switches, more problems. You can't beat the cost of natural draft. Once you build the chimney you have it made.

Ken
ABSOLUTELY However, once in a while you have to use one of these confounded things. I am a firm believer in K.I.S.S.

Old 03-03-05, 06:22 PM
Received 14 Votes on 10 Posts
Don't you mean cornfounded
(sorry, I had to say that)

Old 03-03-05, 08:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Andy

Originally Posted by Andrew
Don't you mean cornfounded
(sorry, I had to say that)
OOOOH, that's corny. Boo, Hiss.