water heating system pressure loss

Old 02-26-05, 10:22 AM
sberube
Visiting Guest
water heating system pressure loss

Hi,

I've been living in my house for 4 years now, and have always had a little water pressure loss in my system, but nothing major. Now yesterday I set the pressure level to 18-20 PSI (2 stories + basement) and today I noticed the pressure level was 0!!! So I filled it back up to 18 PSI when the burner stopped, and since it has started dropping (about 3 psi in one hour). Might be because of water cooling in the pipes, but I doubt it.

I have a 55 year old system with coper and metal pipes (mix). My burner is about 5-6 years old, and my combustion chamber is a viking junior. In the past 4 months I had to redo some copper pipes in the system so I had to drain the whole thing and re-fill it (a few times). But I'm 100% certain that my new pipes aren't leaking.

My pressure release valve says "reducing valve: 12-15" and "release valve 30". Also, I just noticed that its dropping 1-2 drops / sec... which might actually explain my problem

Also, I've turned off my pump and my breaker for my boiler to see if the pressure will keep dropping (is this a good idea to isolate if my problem is in my pipes VS my boiler?)

Thanks.

Old 02-26-05, 10:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
sberube

The relief valve certainly needs to be replaced but I don't think it is the whole problem. What type of expansion tank do you have? Is it one which can be drained or one with a schrader (tire valve) on it? I presume the boiler does not have an automatic water feeder?

Old 02-26-05, 01:55 PM
sberube
Visiting Guest
Actually, I measured the amount of water comming out of my valve (while going to the hardware store to get a new valve), and had about 1 gallon (1 full paint canister) of water per hour... So that probably accounts for the entire lost of pressure. While doing so, I had on/off valves pre and post regulation valve which I turned off, and by doing so, I stopped losing pressure. Now I've replaced the regulation valve and set my pressure to 18psi and left my paint canister to collect excess water and we'll see

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-26-05, 06:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep us informed

Your'e Welcome. Let us know if all seems well or if you are still having problems.

Old 02-27-05, 10:55 AM
sberube
Visiting Guest
Darn, still got a pressure drop. 24 hours no problem, then I left for a few hours, came back, and had lost 3 psi. Down to 13. I stuck a bucket again under the exit which I found was leaking, and this time, it doesn't.

My expansion tank is kinda built in the ceiling, and its got a nice 1/2 pipe leading to a valve where I can actually drain it easily.

Yep, I have an automatic water feed to my boiler. Its a Watts regulator (the one I changed yesterday).

At this point, any idea would help. Is it normal that my pressure drops at this point? what's the lowest it should drop to?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-27-05, 11:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
sberube

At this point I would not worry about a 3# pressure drop. 12-15# should be enough for your house. If you want to see if you actually have a leak, it is going to take time & I would suggest doing it on a day when you have the time to spend. Usually I suggest starting on a Friday evening so you can track pressure over the weekend. If you wish, I'll post a method I've been sucessful with.
Side note to KField: Feel free to jump in anytime

Old 02-27-05, 02:18 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You guys are doing fine, I had to get my plow truck ready for another snow storm. You mentioned the expansion tank but you didn't say when the last time was that you drained it completely dry. I would suggest doing that first of all. Completely dry. Then refill and monitor pressure.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: