oil burner ran out of oil. How do I bleed the pump to get the furnace running again?

Old 03-01-05, 08:34 AM
stevedap
Visiting Guest
oil burner ran out of oil. How do I bleed the pump to get the furnace running again?

The tank is in the basement and I re-filled it with 10 gallons. The oil line from the tank runs to the burner which is about a foot higher than the current level of the oil in the tank. Unfortunately I can't get the tank re-filled for a few days. The oil furnace is an older model. When I push the re-set button the pump comes on for about 30 seconds then shuts off. The burner doesn't light. How do I bleed the oil line/re-prime the pump? I checked the boiler forum and couldn't find any instructions. Thanks

Old 03-01-05, 09:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

On the oil pump there is a small pipe plug on some it has a hole in it and you can slip a small hose on to it. you break it lose or get the small wrench on it. hit the reset and open it some dont take it out. If the burner goes off on reset close the plug then hit the reset again and open the plug . Have to do this till you get oil comeing out of the lose plug. might be good idea to get new oil filter and nozzle now also.
post back in this same post if you need more info.

ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: