Do I have to drain the system???

Old 03-09-05, 05:54 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I have to drain the system???

Hi -

Excuse me if this is a subject that has had a lot of postings. Last year, a plumber disconnected a forced hot-water register for me when I remodeled a room. This single register has it's own zone all to itself. To the two pipes he disconnected from the register, he installed shut-off valves, I am assuming to make things easier when reconnecting the register. I now want to reconnect the register myself (sorry to say this, but I can't afford the huge money he wants to come back and do it), and I have a couple of questions:

1: Because of the shut-off valves, can I just reconnect the register, open the valves, and everything will be fine, or will there be a big slug of air in the system due to the air contained in the register?

2: If I can't just open the valves, do I have to drain the system first, reconnect the register, and refill, or can I just add water?

3: If I have to drain the system, can someone please help by giving me a blow-by-blow, VERY simplistic explaination of how to do it?

I have read a couple of postings, and got a little nervous reading about shutting off the gas to the burner, so that is why I really need the extra help.

Thank you,

David

Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-05, 07:59 PM
You should be able to connect to the valves that are there but be sure to put some way to bleed the air out. If you are using copper finned baseboard, put in a bleeder elbow and an air vent.

Ken

Old 03-10-05, 06:00 AM
D
Thanks

Hi -

Thanks for the advice. I will have to see if there is enough room to put in the elbow and air vent. It's pretty tight where the pipes come up through the floor. If I can't do this, I guess I will look for other responses/advice.

Thanks - David