Backflow Preventer with intermediate Atmos. Vent water leak??

Old 03-13-05, 10:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Backflow Preventer with intermediate Atmos. Vent water leak??

I have a Well McLain Gold GV boiler for my baseboard hot water heating system in my house. My house and heating is only about 2 years old. Last night, I lost all water in the house because my well pump either stopped working or got clogged. I noticed once I lost water and water pressure in the house that this piece connected to the water line coming from my boiler started dripping water. The water was dripping out of this little 4 foot piece of pvc pipe connected to this this thing called a "Backflow Preventer with intermediate Atmos. Vent" I never noticed water dripping out of this piece of pipe before. Now I have my well water back working normally and water is still dripping out of this piece of pipe by the boiler. I do not know why it is and if this is normal or not. Right now I just have a bucket under the end of this piece of pipe to collect the water dripping out. Can anybody help me out with what this may be? if this is normal and it should stop soon, etc?

Thanks

Old 03-13-05, 10:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Backflow preventer

The backflow preventer was doing exactly what it is supposed to. A piece of rust probably got stuck under the preventer's valve seat. You may be able to take it apart & clean it. Some cannot be taken apart & have to be replaced.

Old 03-13-05, 10:33 AM
S
Well I can tell you that when I lost my water in my house last night, then the water came back on, the water was very dirty, almost like my well pump sucked up some mud or dirt so I had to go around to all my faucets and clean out the screens because they were filled with dirt and stuff.

Now the water is coming out clean. I don't understand what this backflow preventer is actually doing? I do notice that it sits inline on the piping that connects to the boiler's "From System" input. Could the dirt that was in the water from my well of messed up my boiler and baseboard hot water system?

The gauge on the "To System" output of the boiler is reading 15 psi and I believe like 150 degrees.

The guage at the well water pressure tank is set at 60 psi, the well guy set it at 60psi, it was previously set at 50psi.. so I don't know if this could of messed anything up..

Old 03-13-05, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The crud you got out of the faucets was probably a coating built up over the years on the inside of your pipes. The backflow preventer is to keep the water in the baseboard & boiler from getting into the domestic in case of a pressure drop on the domestic side. Don't worry about a little junk getting into the heating side. It's already a lot dirtier than the domestic.

Old 03-14-05, 07:45 AM
S
how would crud build up on the inside of your pipes if you run domestic water through your pipes everyday?

the well guy that came over to get the water working again said he thinks the crud is from the bottom of the pressure tank. He said the pressure tank is self cleaning and when they get almost empty you suck up the junk at the bottom of the tank.

As for why my water completely stopped working, he thinks that my well head might of sucked up some junk possibly because a new "Vein" of water could of opened up or because we have been having lots of rain and snow for the past couple of weeks. He definately thinks it is NOT a dried up well issue. And my well pump and pressure gauage was working find he said.

So the junk that came through all the faucets was probally from the bottom of the pressure tank or from something the well sucked up, I don't know. But the water is working fine now and seems clean. Do you think I should get the water tested to make sure it's no contaminated?

Old 03-14-05, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Crud in pipes

I work with pipes every day & trust me crud will build up. That water is not always flowing. When it is not, deposits can & do form.
As to getting the water tested: It is probably less harmful than the city water with all of the "purification" chemicals. As the saying goes: "If it's clear, taste it; if it's sweet drink it."

Old 03-14-05, 04:53 PM
A
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Get a new backflow preventer, If its not that old you wont even have to solder anything. If you can get the same kind it will fit in the same opening

Old 03-14-05, 07:09 PM
S
how do they connect the metal ends to the PEX piping? is there like some sort of chemical glue that holds the metal ends on? I always worry that the pipe will just bust out of the metal end and then there will be a huge water leak....

also on the pex piping, it's the color gray, but it looks like they strip the end of the piping, like strip the gray casing off the pipe to reveal the black pipe underneath... the metal end doesn't need to be clamping around the gray casing right? cause some of the pipes you can see the black pipe where the metal end attaches, as if they stripped too much casing off the pipe for the metal end... and it's a bit worrisome cause it almost looks like the pipe is coming out of the metal end..

I recently pumped up my pressure from 50psi to 60psi and was worried that the pressure might be pulling the pipe out of the metal ends... but these pipes and all the fitings should be just fine at 60psi right?

Old 03-16-05, 02:24 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jerome

I had the same problem when I lost my well presure. I turned off the water on both sides of the backflow preventer. I then took apart my backflow preventer, the one I have is very simple. I cleaned up the area of the seat and reassembled, no more leak. You have nothing to lose by trying to fix your old one, it is probally just dirty. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: