Boiler Pressure

Old 03-16-05, 06:43 AM
Milella
Visiting Guest
Boiler Pressure

Hi, I have a old converted gravity hot water boiler with Extrol 2 gal. Expansion tank. The pressure gauge is at 12, the expansion tank at 12 psi. When the boiler comes on and the heat rises, the guage goes up too and is at 30 or so when the bolier shuts off. The feed valve is set at 12 psi and seems O.K. I noticed when the boiler was off the guage is at 12 normal but the expansion tank was low. When I put air back to 12 psi the guage went up to 20 and stays there. Can anyone tell me whats going on, I need advice thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-05, 07:05 AM
Wink

See if you get water out of the schrader valve on the tank there sounds like the bladder tank could be bad.

ED

Old 03-16-05, 08:49 AM
Milella
Visiting Guest
Boiler Pressure

Hi Ed, There is a schrader valve on the pipe just before the tank, and water comes out when I press the valve stem. The schrader vale on the bottom of the tank itself, no water there, but I can put air in it.

Old 03-16-05, 09:02 AM
You cant really put air in when the tank is attached to the system. If you have gravity hot water I would think that you have very large radiators and piping. You may need two extrol tanks. Maybe even two #60 extrol tanks.