water sounds in steam radiator

Old 03-18-05, 09:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
water sounds in steam radiator

I am getting what sounds like bubbling water in my radiators when the heat goes on. I also have one radiator that lacks heat unless the heat really cranks. I also get a bubbling sound in this one too. If I put suction at the vent I can hear bubbling (hot or cold). I have elavated the radiator quite a bit so there is a decent pitch going back to the return pipe (only a one pipe system) ..Is there an easy fix or do I need to take the system apart and clean all the traps and radiators. Also is it OK to shut off the upstairs radiators during winter time to save money or can this hurt the system? Thanx

Old 03-18-05, 01:53 PM
If you have traps, you have a 2 pipe system. Is there a vent on each radiator? What is the pressure control set at?

Ken

Old 11-02-09, 01:58 PM
T
Sound of water in steam radiator.

We live in an apartment in the Bronx that is heated by steam. I have radiators in three rooms. Two of the three do fine. The one with noise is in the living room. The pipe coming out of the floor is on the far right. It goes into one radiator below one window. This one is connected to another one by a pipe below another window. The vent is in the second one. This is where the water sound is and sometimes water leaks out of the vent. My theory is that when we turn off the heat, water condenses and runs to the valve. When we open it for steam, some water escapes and what's still in the system gets pushed back by the steam. I'm not sure if anything can be done.

Old 11-02-09, 04:02 PM
NJT
Received 7 Votes on 5 Posts
Tom, since you are a renter? it means that you should be contacting the super about this problem.

What it sounds like to me is that the condensate is not making it's way back to the boiler as it should. Possibly due to the radiators not being 'pitched' properly.

So, try getting the building owner to do something about it...

Good Luck!

Old 11-02-09, 06:14 PM
E
Originally Posted by tomad51 View Post
My theory is that when we turn off the heat, water condenses and runs to the valve. When we open it for steam, some water escapes and what's still in the system gets pushed back by the steam. I'm not sure if anything can be done.
If you are turning the valve at the floor to stop the steam ( shut off the heat) your theory is right.
Too much heat sometimes? Replace the vent with an adjustable one. If allowed. OR have the super do it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: