Question Re: forced hot water base board heating / zones

Old 03-23-05, 09:57 AM
Raymie
Visiting Guest
Question Re: forced hot water base board heating / zones

Sorry but this is long but I need help.

I have a forced hot water base board heating system with 3 zones. 2 zones appear to share one circulator but are separated by a "Y" connection and 2 thermostat switches (for each of the 2 zones)

The base board for one of these zones was dismantled to put in a water abatement system

I reinstalled new baseboard and connected it to the boiler ( where the zone was connected to the boiler)

I can't make sense out of the wiring for the thermostats.

If I open the switch / valve to the manual position will this zone work when the other thermostat calls for heat?

Last edited by Raymie; 03-23-05 at 10:00 AM. Reason: better title
Old 03-23-05, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
zone valve

If you open it to the manual position, you will get heat in that zone all of the time, wanted or not. What kind of zone valves do you have & what is the # on the boiler control.

Old 03-23-05, 10:32 AM
Raymie
Visiting Guest
I'm not sure I understand

I don't know the number but the boiler is an old "New York"

I don't understand how I would get heat all the time if the valve is open in the manual position but the circulator is controlled by another thermostat in the other zone? It looks like the circulator and the valve are separate

(sorry but I'm a novice)

Old 03-23-05, 10:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Valve/circulator

If the valve is left in the manual position, with the wires attached, it will trigger the burner & circulator. If the boiler stays hot all of the time for domestic hot water, heated water will flow by gravity thru the open valve. The circulator will not stop that circulation.
Let us know what kind of zone valves they are & we can help you with the wiring.

Old 03-23-05, 10:54 AM
Raymie
Visiting Guest
I will check the valve as soon as I get home but...

the thermostat for the zone in question was disconnected by the plumber who removed the old base board zone.

The New Yorker boiler I have is a tankless coil system. So will the new zone (the one I replaced) still produce constant heat with no thermostat attatched eventhough the circulator also pumps water for another zone as well and that zone is not calling for heat?

(Sorry for the basic questions I really appreciate your help!)

Old 03-23-05, 11:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Raymie

The New Yorker boiler I have is a tankless coil system. So will the new zone (the one I replaced) still produce constant heat with no thermostat attatched eventhough the circulator also pumps water for another zone as well and that zone is not calling for heat?

(Sorry for the basic questions I really appreciate your help!)
That is correct. You will get heat even when unwanted. No problem on the questions, that's why we are here.

Old 03-23-05, 02:09 PM
Raymie
Visiting Guest
my valve model

It is a honeywell
I believe the model is V8 043 E 1012 4
.32 amps @ 60 cy

other info:

24 vol 50/60 cy

It has 2 red wires
1 Orange wire
1 yellow

I want to hook up Honeywell Thermostat model T87 F 1859
the existing thermostat (Robert Shaw Controls) I beleive is broken (the new one is more simple)

it is attatched to a green and red wire with one "jumper" wire attatching the red wire to another screw

Hope this is what you need

Thanks

Old 03-23-05, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thermostat/zone valve

For the thermostat, connect one wire to the "R" terminal & the other to "W".

Before we get into the valve wiring I need to know either how the other valves are wired or the number of the control on the boiler the other zone valve wires are connected to.

Old 03-24-05, 08:03 AM
Raymie
Visiting Guest
the wiring (as best I can figure so far)

The thermostat that needs to be connected has a Red (R) and Green (G) wire. These wires run to an electrical box at the boiler

The Thermostat that his currently Hooked up has a Red (R) and White (W) wire

They are both connected to the same box.

Out of this box there are 2 lines that go to the valves

one line has the following wires in it: Blue (B) R,W and G. B and G are not attached

The working valve has the following wires: 2 Rs and 2 Yellows (Y)
and the low volatage wires that are connected to it (from the first line BRWG) are as follows:

W is connected to a Y
R is connected to the other Y
(B & G are no attatched as stated)

the other low voltage line has 2 wires W and R

R is connected to R on the working thermostat
W is connected to the other R on the working thermostat
the 2 Rs connected to a R (low voltage). The 2 Ys are connected to a W (this is not the Same R and W from the working thermostat)

The valve that needs to be hooked up has the following wires
2 Rs
1 Orange wire
1 Yellow

P.S. I took about 4 pictures with a camara but I don't know how to post them here. May I email them 2 You?

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: