Some radiators not turning on

Old 04-10-05, 01:09 PM
sm823
Visiting Guest
Question Some radiators not turning on

I just bought a house that has hot water radiators (I think-is there a way to verify this?). Two of the five radiators in the house are turning on appropriately. The others stay cold. What should I do???
thanks!

Old 04-10-05, 01:23 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink

More info here needed. Do you have two tstat and two pumps on the boiler? Is the psi on the boiler about 15 Lb psi? what is the tremp of the boiler160o to 180o? Have you tried to bleed the radiators? Let the air out till you get water. Is water to the auto water fill turned on?

Post back in this same post with any more info info you have .

ED

Old 04-10-05, 01:57 PM
sm823
Visiting Guest
I looked and there were three pressure readings. There were two small ones labled "cut in" and they both read about 1 PSi. There was also a large one that reads internal syphon and that is at 0 psi. I couldn't find any temperature readings. We've never bleed the radiator (not sure how to do that). Also, not sure about the auto water fill...
thanks so much

Old 04-10-05, 02:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
sm823

You have a steam system, not hot water. Each radiator should have a valve. Make sure all are open. On one end of each radiator, at the top, there should be a steam vent. Remove each one & clean it. Some have numbers around them. The higher the number the faster it vents. At first, put the mark back where it was. If still no luck, set to a higher number.

Old 04-10-05, 03:29 PM
sm823
Visiting Guest
Thanks, I checked and on the side of each radiator is a silver bullet type looking valve that does say air vent. How do you remove them? Just twist off? Didn't want to break anything.

Thanks

Old 04-10-05, 03:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Vents

Yes, they screw off. If one happens to snap off, it's not the end of the world. Just use the correct drill bit to drill it out & re-tap the threads. (1/8" NPT) When re-installing use teflon tape but be careful not to block the hole.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: