Hartford Loop?

Old 04-24-05, 01:43 PM
mikk1
Visiting Guest
Hartford Loop?

I'm gonna be installing a Burnham IN5 steam boiler and need to constuct a hartford loop. My old dunkirk doesnt have this loop and not sure how to make one. i did google h-loop and have a pretty good idea but at the waterline it states to use a closed nipple i have my water feed in the return line and with a closed nipple there wont be able to fill boiler? also with the bolier exhaust will i still need a draft door or with the automatic damper i wont need one? thanks.

Old 04-25-05, 01:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Mikk

Without reading what you are I can't say for sure but I think they mean a close, not closed nipple.
By "draft door", I presume you mean a draft regulator or barometric damper. You should not need one on your gas boiler. Do, however, have the chimney checked. It may (probably) need to be lined with a metal liner.

Old 04-25-05, 04:20 PM
mikk1
Visiting Guest
Yeah, i miss understood the close and closed -its close. so i dont need a draft door in the flue exhaust line. my chimney needs a metal liner your say'in? I have my gas hot water heater flue vented there presently above the bolier vent. if the chimney isnt lined i should have it done is what your say'in? who would i call to have that done, expensive?

Old 04-26-05, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Venting

You need to follow National Fuel Gas Code (NFPA 54) & manufacturer's instructions on venting. I don't do a lot of gas therefore I have to look up proper venting procedures every time I do one. Any chimney sweep could either line the chimney if needed or at least steer you to someone who does do the lining. If it is a straight shot up the chimney it is not very expensive. Maybe even a DIY job. Sizing is an important part.

Old 04-28-05, 11:12 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think you are on the right track. A close nipple or a street ell will be fine. Be sure to observe the elevation of the tee in the loop and all the pipe sizes from the supply to the equilizer and down to the return.

Ken

Old 04-28-05, 04:24 PM
mikk1
Visiting Guest
My old boiler which is in the 20+ year old range doesnt have a harftord loop, equalizer, etc. and works fine. I guess its really just a saftey feature. where can i find specs. on my dunkirk model# cid 5. so i can match it up with a new gas model. it has on boiler plate 113,000 btu but is this the input or output?, 405 sq.ft EDR also on the boiler. i'm looking to get a new dunkirk plymouth steam II but unsure of the correct size to match up. anybody know off hand? thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: