Leak from Iron Cast Heat Exchanger, Bad Burner or High Pressure

Old 05-07-05, 03:42 PM
jimmyct
Visiting Guest
Leak from Iron Cast Heat Exchanger, Bad Burner or High Pressure

I am a new home owner and my Burnham burner (V-7 Series tankless, 6 year old) is leaking from the iron cast heat exchanger whenever the burner is running. I can see the water bead forms outside the iron cast.
The contractor told me that the burner is bad and need to be replaced.
I noticed the pressure reading is about 40psi. From what I learned that the regular pressure should be about 32psi for my two story house. I asked the contractor about it, he told me that it is okay. I also noticed that the sign on the burner also Max 32psi.
Should I believe the contractor and get the burner replaced, which will cost me a lot. Or is there any a fix like solder or something to repair instead of to replace it. Is the high pressure is okay.
Thanks a lot for your help in advance.
Jimmy

Old 05-09-05, 06:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
Jimmy

A couple of things jump out at me. (1) Pressure is way to high. Should be 15-18 psig for a 2 story home. (2) At 6 years old, the boiler should still be under warranty. You might have to pay labor but the boiler should cost nothing. Burnham did have a problem with some of the V-7's but have been very good about honoring warranties. Contact a Burnham dealer in your area & have them take a look. You can contact Burnham for a list of authorized dealers in your area.

Old 05-10-05, 07:16 AM
jimmyct
Visiting Guest
Thanks a lot for your valuable advice. I will contact dealer and get fixed.
Meanwhile, I tried to lower the pressure myself by draining the water from
the bottom of the burner. The pressure went down. But it came back to about 40psi again after the burner ran. Is there any other thing I need to do to lower the pressure.

Thanks a lot.
Jimmy

Old 05-10-05, 04:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Arrow 40#

Are you sure you are reading psi & not feet? Many boiler gauges have the pressure scale calibrated in both feet & psi. Forty feet would equal about 17 psi (exactly where you should be).

Old 05-10-05, 07:45 PM
jimmyct
Visiting Guest
I double checked the gauge and the reading is psi and feet is about 100. I put a picture here: http://appliedgeneticsinc.com/Gauge.JPG. The picture is not quite good but the inner reading is psi, which right above 40;
I did another try like this: I drained the burner and the pressure went down about 35psi. I did not start the burner but just waited for a little while. The pressue went back again. It seems to me that the pressure reducing valve is
not working. I did not shut off the feed line when I drained. There two feed line and one is for heating, other is top water. Should I shut them all.

Thanks,
Jimmy

Old 05-11-05, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Boiler pressure

Since you have not previously mentioned water coming out of the relief valve, either the gauge is lying to you (likely) or the relief valve is not functioning properly. A relief valve should be wide open @ 30 psig.
You can check the system pressure with a tire gauge if you have an expansion tank with a tire valve on it. If you don't have such a tank, shut off all the water & open the boiler drain. The gauge should quickly drop to zero. If it does not, the gauge is bad. If it does, the relief valve is bad.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: