flushing single pipe system?

Old 05-20-05, 08:38 PM
mikk1
Visiting Guest
flushing single pipe system?

I'm installing new dunkirk boiler and noticed alot of sludge(30 years worth probably!) in the return line and want to flush most if not all the return piping. whats the best way to do that? hook a garden hose up to the valves that connect each radiator? thanks.

Old 05-21-05, 05:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Just taking apart the old boiler can break loose a lot of dirt. You have to prevent that stuff from getting back to the new boiler at all cost. You should valve off the returns before they reach the boiler and install a drain valve that you can connect a garden hose to and drain all the condensate for at least 2 days after start-up. When that condensate runs as clean as tap water, you can reconnect it to the new boiler and be safe. I would not run a hose down the radiator pipes. You could back flush the wet returns by running a hose in them but it will make a dirty mess. You should also skim the new boiler for an hour or until there is no more oil after start-up. I would not recommend any cleaners other than TSP and I would only use that if you are prepared to fill and flush at least 3 times. You may also have to ph adjust the water after a TSP flush.

Ken

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: